Sign in to follow this  

what do you think about your XR?

Looking ot maybe buying a new XR and im not sure if I want an XR or a DR so tell me what you think...Thanks Mark:thumbsup:

Since my wife would make my life miserable if I had a bunch of bikes, my L is a good combination of bikes. I ride it to work every day (weather permitting), take it to the off-road park about every weekend, and have put over 400 miles on it in one day.

On paved roads and highways::busted:

It's as good as a DS can be. It's no big v-twin cruiser, but with the addition of a steering damper, it handles great and has plenty of power for passing. It also helps to either trim the front fender or replace it with a CRF fender.

On dirt roads/trails::busted:

It's very predictable and comfortable. Again, decent power is there when needed.

Off-road:

The bad:

It's heavy and under-sprung for the big hits. Power is marginal (flat-out desert runs, washes, deep sand, silt, etc.)

The good:

Tons of low-end torque. Like someone said earlier, it will either go through it or over it.

Even better:

With some simple, inexpensive mods, the power level can be improved greatly. Although it will never be the brute that an R is, it can give you good, reliable power that is more than adequate, and sometimes downright scary.

The suspension can be improved greatly through simple adjustments or with spring changes. I did a USD conversion and never looked back.

So, after all of this rambling, my point is this:

• The L is not a great off-road racer.

• The L is not a great single-track trail bike.

• The L is not a great highway cruiser.

But, it does everything well - and better than most - and never, EVER breaks a sweat. Plus, Honda reliability and access to aftermarket and almost 20 years of OEM parts is something to be considered.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=91164

The XRl like the DR is overweight, slow and underpowered.

The XRR is just overweight.

OK, I'll chime in :busted:.

Last march, at age 47, I got a wild hair,and bought my first motorcycle, an 06 XRL with 8K on it, for a quite reasonable $2200 ( with a new set of Avon Distanzias,installed !! ).

(My previous experience was only the occasional ride on friend's XR75's when I was a kid back in the 70's. I used to DREAM of my own XR when I was a kid !!! )

My younger brother was the family's lone motorcycle rider, and he helped me with the whole buying/inspection process. I bought a service manual, then dove right in. First,I installed a new battery,then immediately changed the oil and filter, then I changed the plug, then I installed a UNI air filter, then an IMS smog-block kit,then changed fork oil,then chain and sprockets. ( and I still have a Battery Tender Jr. to set up). I also now have standing by,a new set of tires,chain and sprocket set, and spark plug.

I check this forum every day, and follow closely all problem-related threads, putting some links in my favorites for future reference.( Many thanks to all here for past and future help, I'm WAY in over my head here !!!!!:busted: )

Anyway, to answer the OP....... I LOVE MY XRL !!! I baby it every way I know how. It runs like a sewing machine, gets me around 50 MPG, and I just coudn't be happier with this thing !!!!!

Really!?!?!?

You are serious about considering a Suzuki over a Honda. That's like considering a cold can of tuna fish over a steak dinner.

Granted, the Suzuki is cheaper, but also has poorer engineering in design and manufacturing. Honda is known for what they make from cars to lawnmowers and yes, they do charge you for it.

Okay, I am a little biased since I do have a Honda lawnmower, but you just can't beat Honda quality. I am sure the DR would work, but the XR, besides it's ridiculously small tank, is head and shoulders above any enduro...at least in my pathetic opinion.

I have had both the DR and XR but I didnt get to have it for very long(had a kid)And never got to mod.So I was wanting to know what the xr people truly thought about it.I fig I would go right to the Source.Than you guy for the great info I think im going to buy a XR this time.And if you know anyone looking to sell please send them my way.Thanks Mark

http://www.trademethings.com/

Agreed. The only thing I don't like about my XRR is no electric start. I did a USD conversion and set up the shock for my weight and it's awesome. It flies in the desert, and does very well in singletrack also. I'm 6'2" 225lbs, and can throw it around pretty easily, but if you are under 6'0" I'd recommend a smaller bike, maybe a KTM450EXC or something.

Looking ot maybe buying a new XR and im not sure if I want an XR or a DR so tell me what you think...Thanks Mark:thumbsup:

I currently own one of each , both are 2008 models , this is my second DR650 and my third XR650L. You should take a trip to N. Florida and take them for a spin :busted:

XRR is amazing. Love everything about it except the weight, but you're going to have to deal with that with your other options anyways.

Really!?!?!?

You are serious about considering a Suzuki over a Honda. That's like considering a cold can of tuna fish over a steak dinner.

Hey! I like cold tuna in a can! Back off mister :busted: That being said Picking a suzuki over a Honda is like picking a Dodge truck over a Chevy Silverado. The Chevy has higher quality parts and better engineering. It really depends on how your going to ride. I tend to like big power with lighter chassis like my CR500 but thats not street legal. My XL was damn near free with the trade and it has a license plate but I wont be taking it up any hill climbs. I think the perfect combination is the Husqvarna TE510. Its basically a race bike with a license plate and very well built. It all comes down to how you want to ride.

Edited by voodoolord

Im 5'9" and 196# and I ride the $h1t out of a XRR. I am however gonna get the lowering link and move my forks up in the trees. I love my XRR but I am having a hard time getting a title for it. If you want a street legal bike and dont want to deal with a kit to make it so I would go with the L but if you want a powerful monster and dont mind putting on a street legal kit the R is for you. Eeeeeasy wheelies! :busted:

I own a 2007 XR650L and have ridden my buddies 2008 DR650 (he has also ridden my XR so some of the comments can be considered his).

- The DR 650 has a little less suspension travel and sits a few inches lower. I am 5'11" and the XR650L is Tall. If I were predominately going to ride on the street, or was shorter in stature, I would highly consider the DR for this reason alone.

- I would say the engines in the two bikes put out similar power. The Suzuki might have a very slight edge in stock form. My friend and I both rejetted our bikes and added high flow air filters which improved the performance greatly over stock (this is relatively cheap as well).

- Both bikes have 5 speeds. My friend and I both dropped one tooth on the front sprockets to make the ratios more friendly for trail action. Both bikes will still cruise at 65 mph comfortably. The XR650L has a pronounced gap between 1st and 2nd gear which can be a nuisance in tight trails. The DR 650 has better spreads between 1st and 2nd.

- The suspension of the XR650L is much better off road. If you weight less than 200 lbs you may be able to exist happily with the stock XR650L springs and suspension (you will likely need to add heavier springs if you weight more or go pretty fast). The DR650 suspension is pretty darn soft stock (which makes for a nice street ride). In both of our opinions it needs heavier springs (and shock and forks revalving) to approach the suspension of the XR650L.

- Both bikes are overweight for serious tight trail work and benefit from shedding as much poundage as possible.

- I think both bikes should be very reliable with basic maintenance and upkeep.

- Neither of the stock seats were very comfortable for long periods of time.

My final decision would depend on what kind of riding I intended to do and what kind of deal you can get on either bike. I would consider either one for general commuting and light trail work. The more dirt orientated you get I would lean towards the XR650L. I would not consider either of them for very serious tight trail work. Hope this helps.

I really like my XRL, just wish it was a little lighter. Ive done some good trail riding with it, if you keep on the go juice it keeps up pretty well. I noticed however, when you crash, its usually hard.

I tried a buddies DR650, it was nice and easy to handle, needs stiffer suspension springs before you can really do any real riding. I like the vast supply of cheap parts on the XR however.

NOT a drz400 though.. XR650R weighs about the same and is WAY faster. If I wanted a puke juice bike, I'd go XR650R all the way

A buddy had a DR and I was actually looking for one of those when I stumbled across a nice used XR650L. It is tall, and I'm 6'-1", but after a test drive I was hooked. Not that the DR is a bad bike, I just felt the Honda felt better. A Wal-Mart ATV seat pad really helped the seat comfort. So far I have been quite satisfied.

I love my L. Only had it a few months, and ride mostly in the dirt. It is heavy and as someone else said, it falls hard, but after these few months it “feels” much lighter to me and I can sling in around fairly well. I love the torque, it just always seems to be there. Second gear does seem to be a bit far away from first, but one thing for sure, take it out in the woods, put it in second as soon it will take it, pull back on the throttle and hold on for the ride of your life. In close woods, second has a lot of life in her and will scare the bejeebies out of you as the D606 on the rear flicks back and forth trying to come around out front. I just love it. Wow.

I could go on and on about the L, I just love it.

20111103001.jpg