Over a barrel, Help!

Getting back into dual sport (15 years), have street ridden my whole life (54) and owned many dirt rides (it490, ktm 380,ty350,etc) and now am being offered a choice. 2002 drz400s-1800 miles-nice and 2003 dr650-similar miles-nice. Price is reasonable on both. Looking for buzzing around town and Colorado forest servive roads twice a year. I'm 6'1" 250 pounds. Bikes are only 35 lbs apart per specs. Pros and cons please!

Actually, I was thinking reliability and power by recommending the 650. There's no way the 400 can match torque of the 650. If you are worried about 35lbs. then I'm wondering how straight you are being with us on the percentage of fireroads and dirt roads vs. street use. Twist the right wrist and hang it out there flat track style.

You can drop 20 lbs by changing out the stock exhaust system on the DR. Gas is 6 lbs a gallon, so by not taking on a full load, you can shave another 12 lbs. without sacrificing much and be under your target weight. You can also choose a lighter weight tire and tube combo and save weight.

Don't forget I listed an IT490 (1983). I used to thrash it at AP BAY at keystone lake in okla a decade ago. 70+ on the beach was a breeze(I know it was 10 years ago, I'm older and fatter!) In good shape, but out of the loop for a decade, I'll get there. 6"1" and solid, I can handle it on muscle memory for an initation/breakin period for my ancient ass!

Weight difference won't really matter on gravel roads. DR650 will be better at higher speeds due to wider ratio gear box.

If you will be leaving the road and trail riding, weight will matter. A lot. DR-Z400 would be better there.

Weight difference is more than you wrote, I think. Wet 317 for the DR-Z vs 367 for the DR from memory, so double check.

I'd go 400 all the way. Depending on your power needs, the 400 can make tons if uncorked. Not stellar on the road but so, so much better than the 650 in the dirt it's well worth it. That said, if you will be doing any all day trips on pavement, the 650 will shine and you'll be buzzy and monkey-butted on the 400. It just depends on which way you are biased toward, both bikes are solid machines.

Went with the 650. 2003 Hold over purchased in 2009, only 1800 miles! Set up for a rider about my size. What color was the original rear spring on the 03?

Nice find!

My '06 spring is white. I can't find a photo on-line that shows it. Maybe someone who owns one will chime in here.

Bought the dr650, 2003 that wasn't uncrated until 2009, 1800 miles! What fun, rode all day Friday and I love it! After riding that BMW for years, this thing feels like a feather, very agile. Gonna try some logging roads and cow trails in southern Oklahoma after getting to know the bike thic coming week.