Sign in to follow this  

stock cylinder longevity ?

mainly, i'm curious how long the nikasil coating on the STOCK SUZUKI cylinder normally lasts, assuming there isn't something ingested or a valve letting go. we're talking wear, not catastrophic failure of another part that then effects the bore/piston/etc.

so what says you ? 50,000 ? 65000 ?

i see according to wikipedia (source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil) that nikasil is actually a form of carbide, and that makes me very, very happy.

i'm surprised a ring will wear on it, given as slippery and wear resistant as carbide is from my machining experience.

anyways, back on topic, how long have you seen it last, in a like-new condition ?

ive yet to see one worn out/damaged that hadnt ingested dirt or other debris or had a oil failure.

a ring will not wear it. the cylinder wears the rings.

Ive got nearly 23000 miles on a M/T cylinder , just replaced the piston again (2nd time) 1400 miles ago the cylinder is still in spec dame that nicasil is hard !

you need to check the valve clearances often and watch for any rapid movement .

the valves , valve spring , retainers and stem seals need to be replaced when clearance becomes an issue . along with the cutting of the valve seats , as far as a certain distance goes its hard to say .

my advice is not to over rev , this prolongs valve life as well as other components .

unless you race of course , then you rev to the moon and replace more often !

I can't speak for the longevity of nickasil in a DRZ, but in my experience on a BMW R80 G/S which has the same coating, the rings will wear away 1st. Has 94,000 miles on the G/S when the compression was getting on the low end of the scale. So pulled the cylinders and the ring gap was excessive, but the cylinder still had the cross hatching. Probably easily go another 100,000 miles. The BMW won't see the revs a DRZ will though.

What should be done (and what replaced) in a top end rebuild and at what miles is this recommended please?

Chooken covered the valve train items...When the valve clearances start moving they tend to keep moving and is a tell tale sign that replacement is needed soon.

I would be doing piston and ring replacement at 10,000 to 15,000 miles on a stock engine..Some may think that's to often...There are variables such as how hard you ride and how often you change your oil...I have seen what a turned piston will do to an engine , and it ain't pretty.....:busted:

What are you guys doing as far as cleaning the cylinder when you rebuild? Anyone using a bore brush? I've heard honing is a no-no?

This is one of the reasons the drz is such a great bike to own. While every one else has the engine on their bike tore down, the drz guy is cleaning his air filter, changing the oil, and looking for that next place to go ride. Some times I sit beside mine in the garage just to admire it. Not to mention the fact that the money you save on piston, rings, and crankshaft sets you can spend on goodies for the rest of the bike. I think its a shame suzuki doesn't build it in a dirt only version any more. :busted:

Mine was close to 19000 miles before the bike was totaled.

2005 DRZ400SM

Never replaced the clutch, the engine, nothing major. Oil/tires/chain/sprockets, in roughly that order too.

Super solid bike!

What are you guys doing as far as cleaning the cylinder when you rebuild? Anyone using a bore brush? I've heard honing is a no-no?

I just sprayed pbblaster on it, then scrubbed with a red scotch pad some. Its carbide (nikesil) and very thin... I believe the idea is to clean but not take any material.