Sign in to follow this  

06 Honda CRF 450x

Hi All, I am new to forum and this would be my first post. I just purchased an 06 450x from Los Angeles, I am from Southern NJ. I was just wondering if the bike had any smog equipment that needed to be removed and if so where would I buy the block off plates for it. Also I have a full Yoshimura pipe on it and was wondering where the jetting should be at for NJ riding. Any information or tips on the bike would be greatly appreciated..

Hi All, I am new to forum and this would be my first post. I just purchased an 06 450x from Los Angeles, I am from Southern NJ. I was just wondering if the bike had any smog equipment that needed to be removed and if so where would I buy the block off plates for it. Also I have a full Yoshimura pipe on it and was wondering where the jetting should be at for NJ riding. Any information or tips on the bike would be greatly appreciated..

Hey, congrats.

Do yourself a favor and read the 'stickys' at the top of this forum.

7 years of great info.

If it was a CA bike it probably has the AIS on it. It's the big chrome alien looking thing on the right side of the motor.

Jetting basically is:

165 main

48pilot

NCVS ® needle 3rd clip

50 leak jet

Stock air and power jets

Merge racing accelerator pump linkage spring upgrade

Remove airbox snorkle

Remove stock muffler or modify

Don't forget always use 1qt oil in the tranny, and change the engine motor oil often.

Thanks, it looks like the bike originally came from Las Vegas and the guy I bought it off of said it does not have any smog equipment on it. The bike is being delivered next Thursday so I can't be 100% sure but from the pictures it doesnt look like it has it. I will also check the jetting once I get the bike. Also 1 correction the bike has a Yoshimura muffler, does anyone think it's worth buying the head pipe as well or just leave the stock one on there, will I notice a difference..

Thanks, it looks like the bike originally came from Las Vegas and the guy I bought it off of said it does not have any smog equipment on it. The bike is being delivered next Thursday so I can't be 100% sure but from the pictures it doesnt look like it has it. I will also check the jetting once I get the bike. Also 1 correction the bike has a Yoshimura muffler, does anyone think it's worth buying the head pipe as well or just leave the stock one on there, will I notice a difference..

I would say don't worry about the head pipe. Suspension will be your next 'need' if you ride much......

What kind of deal did you get on the bike to buy it in Los Angeles and ship all the way across the country? I'm looking for a 450x also. Just wondering. Is there an auction or something in LA?

I got a very good deal on bike and only paid 425.00 to ship coast to coast. With how clean the bike and some aftermarket accessories I couldn't find a better deal anywhere which included the shipping costs. I am defienetly going to do suspension in the winter, I was also wondering if I should do anything with the valve seats or just leave them alone someone had told me to put hardened valve seats on the bike and this corrects the valve issues. Anyone ever hear of that, if not should I be concerened with the valves as far as making any mods to them.

I got a very good deal on bike and only paid 425.00 to ship coast to coast. With how clean the bike and some aftermarket accessories I couldn't find a better deal anywhere which included the shipping costs. I am defienetly going to do suspension in the winter, I was also wondering if I should do anything with the valve seats or just leave them alone someone had told me to put hardened valve seats on the bike and this corrects the valve issues. Anyone ever hear of that, if not should I be concerened with the valves as far as making any mods to them.

If you do any work on the head at all, do it as a 'system'. You can't really replace just one thing ('the valves' or 'the seats') and expect any positive results. Dozens of great 'head' shops all over the country which will give you great results. The SOP is to put in Stainless Steel valves, hardened seats, a 5-angle grind, upgraded intake springs/parts, and OEM exhaust parts (more or less).

As soon as the left intake begins to drift and tighten up, that means the valve face is cupping, and will eventually go enough to not be shim-able. That's when you remove the head, put in a box, and send it off to Head-sy-land for a face lift.

Don't take it to a dealership, or you will be here posting a tale of woe for all of us to shake our heads at.

It might seem complicated and expensive, but a four-stroke head can go hundreds and hundreds of hours before a rebuild is required. Twice as long a a stupid 'oily-gas' motor.