Sign in to follow this  

This enough bike for my size???

Hi, I am between a few bikes right now. Know that I am 6'2" 220lbs. & looking for SuperMoto (aka Street Tard) for commuting to work which is literally only 2 miles from home for me. Also, to enjoy on the weekend blasts on the country twisty roads on live near, probably less than 5 miles from home.

I am just wanting or having the bike to be a hooligan if need to be. (Wheelies, Stoppies, jump, climb stairs, go down stairs, maybe even a little off roading too.

So, the candidates:

09' Husqvarna 510 SMR (2400 miles) = $4900

07' Honda CRF 450X (street titled, but still needs moto wheels & brakes) = $3000

05' Yamaha WR 450F (street titled, has moto wheels & brakes, plus dirt wheels for easy conversion back to dirt) = $4500

Of these which is the least to maintain? How long (miles) between oil changes?

I did see a 06' DRZ400SM (full Yosh exhaust, no other mods mentioned) = $3000

Just not sure if the DRZ would be enough bike for my big frame.

Also, saw a 01' Honda XR650R (street titled, HRC kit, Edelbrock pumper carb, Big gun race pipe, K&N, Warp 9 wheels, over sided front & rear brake rotors, new Renthal handle bars, new Renthal chain, front & rear sprockets, Dunlop race tires, Trail Tech Vapor computer, etc.) = $4300

Any suggestions, especially from experience, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0hioB0b

Edited by 0hioB0b

Hummm I had an 09 Husky TXC510 (dirt version of the SM) and it was a very fun bike in the open so I would think the SM would be more of the same on the street. I've ridden the DRZ400 and it was soft and I would get bored on one of them. I know they are tough bikes and people put tons of miles on them just not for me. The Honda 450X is a tammer 450R which I also had but I don't know the X that well haven never ridden one same goes for the Yamaha. I don't see the Honda 650 as hooligan bike really all though it may be the easiest to maintain. As far a oil changes, I changed the oil in my Husky about every 15 hrs and it wasn't very hard. My TXC510 Husky was a power wheelie machine and better brakes by far than any of the others. So...IMHO it sounds like the Husky 510 SM would fit your wants the best.

I've rode the older Yamaha WR400. If it can be compared to the 450, I thought it handled great off rode with almost too stiff of a feal, which would be great for a motard. And had a fairly aggressive engine for a 4T.

Parts can get expensive on some of the huskies.

Anyone have or rode a KTM 450 SMR? Found one that is asking $3500 that has all the parts to make it street legal, but needs plated by DMV.

Wondering if this one would work for me. I am new to SM and not sure I will like it or love it or neither, so not wanting to put alot of money into it until I know for sure.

Husky dealer (aka BMW) is about 65 miles away while the KTM dealer is about 30 miles away.

Just wondering.

The KTM's are very good bikes we had two (08 450 and 08 505). I just didn't get along with the ergos. They do have plenty of power.

Between the Husqvarna, Honda 450X, and the Yamaha, the Yamaha WR will be the lowest maintenance bike. That is a bulletproof engine design. I own a 2001 WR426 and I owned a YZ400F before that, which is the same engine design. If you take care of them, they will run forever. With that being said, I would probably choose a 2007 and older KTM 450. Those bikes had the "RFS" engine design which was both low maintenance and very powerful...the best of both worlds. I know a couple of guys who have hundreds on hours on the original top ends of 2005-2007 450 EXCs ridden off road.

So, I would go with KTM or WR in the best condition at the lowest price. Shop around...dont get in a hurry about buying. Time is on the buyers side...most sellers want to sell now.

Like lots of trail riders say, don't try to convert an MX bike to the trail, get a trail bike instead. You'll be time and money ahead in the end. I don't necessarily agree in every case, but it seems to be good advice for a sumo buyer.

In addition to a wheelset, you will most likely want a flywheel weight, firmer suspension and a cush hub; things that the converted trailbikes on your list probably lack. The DR-Z is a good beginner bike but heavy and corked up in stock form.

I'd go with a purpose-built KTM or Husky, stay with fairly current models and you won't need to do any mods or big setup changes. I think you'll find that the 450 class is a funner hooligan ride than the big bores (650+); handling is a lot lighter and more dirtbike-ish.