Sign in to follow this  

Trouble starting my 02 Yz250

Ok so i have been having this problem for awhile now on my 2002 Yz250 2 stroke, it has got to the point were i cant even start my bike. The problem im having is when i kick the kick starter down to start the bike it binds all the way through the kick on almost every kick, sometimes it does start but after running for a while it wont even try to start, it feels like the bike has absolutely no compression when i try to kick it when its hot (feels like something is not engaging), but once its cools down completely it has compression like a new topend. I have already replaced the kick starter assembly thinking that was the problem and the bike was competely rebuilt top/ bottom end with about 10 hours of ride time on it. Can anyone help me out with this problem? i think it could possibly have something to do with the clutch basket but im not sure. thanks!

You need to talk to the person or shop who performed the rebuild on your bike. Probably needs to be opened up to be looked at. Have you checked your gear oil for metal shavings? Do you have an owners manual? If you're mechanically inclined it's a fairly simple job to pull the clutch and check the basket and that would be a good place to start, next I would pull the cylinder off and have a look. Again before you do anything you need to call the shop that did the work, you might void any offered warranty by investigating yourself. And let us know what they say before you have them do the work as there are aloot of bogus shops out there.

I had the work done by a friend whos a mx mechanic. I'll run it by him the problem im having, ill pull the clutch out tommarow, and ill check for any shavings in the oil. thanks for the help, ill get back to you soon!