Sign in to follow this  

Pilot jet question ttr125

So i've been working on an 04 ttr125 that has sat for a while. I'm been cleaning out the carb but i'm wondering about the pilot jet, gas is supposed to be pulled from the bowl up through the pilot jet right? Cause this one seems solid right above the threaded section of the jet. Is it supposed to be this way or is this one just clogged? Thanks

It sounds like it is clogged. The passage is small, but if you hold it up to the light, you can see through it. It's hard to clean them thoroughly. Put a new 17.5 or 20 pilot in.

It sounds like it is clogged. The passage is small, but if you hold it up to the light, you can see through it. It's hard to clean them thoroughly. Put a new 17.5 or 20 pilot in.

Yeah i tried holding it up to the light and couldn't see through it. Thanks i think i will try a 17.5.

Also can anyone help me with the float level adjustment? I've searched and seen the 6-7 mm figure thrown out, but i can't figure where that measurement would be taken from. Right now my float looks to be exactly parallel with the bowl mounting surface (this is with the carb upside down, but the little spring loaded pin on the needle valve isn't being pushed in at all. Is this too high, low, just right? thanks

Line up the bendable tab with the rest of the body of the float. They are made to be right on when they are stamped. The float level is usually right on unless someone changes it.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah i have to confess i messed with the float level adjustment a couple times thinking that was the issue with the carb overflowing, even though i should have known the problem was in the needle valve itself. I'll try some wire to clean out the jet, although i think i'm gonna give the 17.5 a try anyway.

I dyno'd a 125 in Denver at 5500 feet, and it liked the 20 better.

The reason a 17.5 is recommended so much is because the bike runs so much better with it than the 15, and it mostly solves the starting and lean idle problem.

Well speaking of starting issues, I've had this bike since new and when you start it cold and use the choke, this bike has always revved really high with the choke on. I don't know what RPM's it's turning but just from the sound it sounds too high for a cold engine. We've got a ttr225 too and fully choked it idles no where near as high. Honestly I like the cold idle of the 125 alot better with the choke on and the pilot jet clogged haha. Has anybody else had this issue? And i really appreciate the replies.