Sign in to follow this  

1990 DR650S worth building engine?

Worth rebuilding engine?

Engine lost power and died after a few miles of uphill fire road. Barely started once, then died. No compression. Haven't cracked engine yet, but clutch probably needs rebuild, base of cylinder has been slowly leaking on long rides, and whatever caused the engine failure. New tires, new front rim, great frame and perfect Mikuni BST40 carb, muffler still works fine.

Edited by WVthumper
Misspelling

i can tell you suzuki doesnt make some of the parts anymore, FOR SURE not the cylinder heads(comes in a 2 pz)

part it out, i know i tried to call suzuki to buy some heads when i had the bike, they couldnt help me every bike store i tried=sorry guy we cant help you....(IF THE HEADS IS YOUR PROBLEM) the bike had 60,xxx i had in pz's..

ebay is always a option

im not the smartest(but i was told if you tried to line up heads from a different bike you would run into the same problem)

i heard most say its true, one or two ppl said its ok.. most the pros said i would run into same problem.. maybe a newer head from a newer motor might work(someone told me that) its possible but alot of work i was told here i think, check my thread...(take most of this with a grain of salt im a noob)

but i was told the motors are the same they never really changed depending on what you need.. some ppl are probly gonna say dont listen to me but some of the stuff i said was correct for sure.. its late dude, good night...

Edited by igotgot
more info

oh yeah your cylinder head base is a gasket, they came out with new ones not to long ago for the 650s metal i think? im sure someone more skilled will be able to help you, for sure check out my thread bro...

Thanks for the input. The local dealer also said parts are hard to find, and components from kientech and others are expensive. DRs that old only go for about $1500, and a rebuild would probably cost that much to do right, depending on what happened (counterbalanced chain?). I really loved torquing that bike through corners, especially witwh new tires this summer, standing on the pegs at 75 and charging hard up fire roads. Hopefully, parts will sell and bring me closer to a newer thumper.

I have some parts for a '90. Two heads, both bad but with some parts. What do you need. Both my heads had a valve break.

Valve2.jpg

Thanks Steve! How did your valves break? That may be my problem.

Thanks for the input. The local dealer also said parts are hard to find, and components from kientech and others are expensive. DRs that old only go for about $1500, and a rebuild would probably cost that much to do right, depending on what happened (counterbalanced chain?). I really loved torquing that bike through corners, especially witwh new tires this summer, standing on the pegs at 75 and charging hard up fire roads. Hopefully, parts will sell and bring me closer to a newer thumper.

yeah the rebuild could cost you around 500 if your lucky.

the thing is man they dont make some of the parts anymore, not just hard to find man, They dont make them at all anymore for that year right which sucks, i took a 90 dr650 on as a project and found out the hard way,

great tip for you here is, lots of the parts cant be found i think and ebay would be a great seller for you , i mean GREAT, if you throw some heads online in good shape, cash back in your pocket very fast! cause they are discontinued right so but id part it out see what you can get, the bike is still worth alot in parts right throw it online you never know... haha i hear you man ripping around on those thumpers nothing like it!, i wish you luck dude i hope you sell some parts and have a new bike asap :busted: i know how it is i can promise you that..

later

Thanks Steve! How did your valves break? That may be my problem.

I was just riding along. The valve stuck between the cylinder and head, so it locked right away. The bike has about 35K Miles.

I got a head off craigslist and rebuilt it. It still runs and I also have an 06.

Although, it looks like that head might be fixed, the cam bearings are bad.

Valve1.jpg