Sign in to follow this  

here's a funky USD conversion situation

I have a 94 XR600R. I bought a complete front end from a verified '91 cr500. However... after trying to install with the bearing adapter/bearing I bought I found it would not work. Right now I have the fork installed with no adapter and it seems to be just fine and correct. Now here is where it gets a little weird----- only 89 lower triple is direct bolt on, so why did this one bolt right up? that's not all... my fork tubes are KYB (Kayabas) and have both compression and rebound damping. They are supposed to be Showas.... anyone have any effing clue what I've got going on here???? I am going to put the rest of the bike together and take it to my guy to make sure I'm not trippin on the fitment being perfect... but my front end is a rolling contradiction to everything I have read here.

The first few years of the USD's on the CR500 were Showa's then they swapped to KYB's ,I THINK.

The first few years of the USD's on the CR500 were Showa's then they swapped to KYB's ,I THINK.

That is correct. That's why I find it weird the legs are KYBs and fully adjustable coming off a '91