Sign in to follow this  

Just picked up a 04 250r. New to crf's any advice?

So I just picked up a 2004 crf250r. I've been riding trails for 6 years and just started getting into motocross. I come from older xr's so the crf is rather foriegn to me. I am 26, female and super new to mx. Any suggestions on upgrades for the 250r that would benifit me? I already checked the valves and that are still with in spec. I don't know the last time the piston was replaced are there any signs I should look for or just replace it for good measure? I will be using the bike for mx only no trails. I have a xr400 for that. Bike already has br1 suspension, tag triples, and chn exhaust. It needs a new chain and sprockets. Should I stick with stock gearing or change it up a bit? The bike already seems pretty darn fast for me so I don't think I will be investing in any hp mods as of yet. Also on the note of maintence the manual says 15 hrs on the oil that seems long what do you guys recommend for a service schedule? Here's a pic as she sits

IMAG0197.jpg

i had the 04 myself and other then keeping an eye on the valves, it was a pretty darn good bike. when the valves do go i would recommend getting SS valves and springs installed, they last a lot longer then the stock Ti units. check your chain slider especially underneath were it wraps around the swing arm i had a chain saw into the swing arm because it wore right through. if the clutch is stock i would also change that as the basket tends to tooth quickly. oil changes for me where at 7 hours and i cleaned the air filter depending on conditions (if its dusty then clean it every ride) ifs its nicely watered with little dust and the bikes not eating roost constantly then id clean it every other ride. Ask the previous owner when he last did a top end and crank for that matter, if he doesn't give you a straight answer then change them out for good measure. its tough to tell when these parts are worn on 4 strokes. look for the telltale signs: excessive vibration at the pegs or in the bars, smoking, etc. Otherwise the crfs geometry was very good in my opinion and the motor was very metered, a great bike to learn on.

It's a good bike, stay on top of the changing the oil, as well as check oil every ride. It's easy and extends the life of the motor. I have 263 hours on my engine, all but 10 done by me. The only thing I have done to the motor is change oil, I am still on the second clutch (Barnett) very happy with it, feels like stock but lasting longer than stock did. I do a variety of riding/racing MX, trails, Hare Scramble, and Enduro. Everytime I change the chain and sprockets I stick with stock sprocket size (but it needs an x-ring or o-ring chain)... it ain't broke, so I don't fix it. Have fun with your new bike.

ss valves, change oil and oil filter every other ride and change the baseket to a after market one and then aftermarket clutch plates quick shot 2 and the protaper bars for your heighth, resprung, 13tooth front sprocket, and then have ride.

Ya over time the oil seal wears out and that crf year is really bad about it . If u have any problems with it . Probly why