2003 DRZ 400 S engine filling with oil

I've had a really strange issue, the cylinder filled with with oil. It seemed like the bike was running out of oil so I put more in, but it actually was leaking out of somehwere else.

From what I can tell so far, the oil isn't cycling back into the frame, and its filling up other areas of the engine.

thoughts?

I've had a really strange issue, the cylinder filled with with oil. It seemed like the bike was running out of oil so I put more in, but it actually was leaking out of somehwere else.

From what I can tell so far, the oil isn't cycling back into the frame, and its filling up other areas of the engine.

thoughts?

What do you mean it seemed like the bike was running out of oil, where was it leaking out of, and what areas of the engine is it filling up?

Your post is rather cryptic. I doubt the cylinder is filling with oil. But is is possible the oil is not being pumped back into the frame. A cause for that is a broken oil pump drive gear. If that is the problem, oil is not being pumped to the bearings in the motor either. So I would not change the oil and ride it 10 or 15 minutes.

Do drain the oil and measure what you get from the frame and the motor. Most should come from the frame and the total about 2 qt. Dump in 2 qt. Start it and check for oil a the oil check plug on the cylinder head. Run the motor for no more than 1 min. If you do not get oil at the check plug, you do not have oil circulation. Stop the motor and investigate.

First as suggested, drain oil from tank and motor, check quality, check for signs of gas in oil, a common reason oil is found to be “over full” is a leaking fuel petcock, and gas in the case mixed with oil.

With fresh oil and filter, remove the oil check bolt , found back side of the head, just above the cam chain tensioner, it is a 10mm hex head bolt. Oil at an idle will dribble out.. your not looking for a gusher.

Next up, remove seat, tank and valve cover,, spark plug, rotate crank to TDC on compression stroke (just make sure the cam lobes are not depressing the valve and spring) remove cam caps and check the bearings journals for galling.

Oil not moving from motor to tank means broken gear, as described above that’s bad. Easy to check, remove side cover visually inspect gear

If broken, then the trail of items effected need to be checked.

Well, yes of course if you are looking for more performance.

If you do need to do extensive repairs, that is the time to investigate the cost of performance mods vs stock rebuild. Many people choose to just send the motor to Eddie and you can specify the level of performance you want and can afford.