Sign in to follow this  

Hot Rod cranks

So I have read some bad press but I am taking the plunge. I bought a 200 crank. I will send it off to Andrew to have him check it out and we will all know the truth. No BS just the facts.

Joe.........

Joe I know a lot of people use Hot Rod cranks without issues. A agree, sending it off to Andrew will definitely give you peace of mind that when installed it will be just as you would expect it to be, perfect. :busted:

Eric

From what I read their jet ski cranks are made in China, with substandard quality as compared to YAmaha OEM cranks (for 701cc twins). IDK if this holds true for bike cranks.....

I did all kinds of things with jetski's that many said would not work;) I ran Hot Rod cranks in 951 SeaDoo and 701 Yamaha engines without issue. When there was a catastrophic failure it was not due to a faulty crank. A big slosh of water would find it's way into the intake a high RPM and water will not compress like fuel so something has to give. The rod would snap in half and the remnants would saw the engine in half. No faulty crank, no faulty rod, just simple physics at work.

Back around 2005 I was sponsored by Wiseco and there was some kind of divorce between Wiseco and HotRods. I could not order cranks and Wiseco was tooling up to produce the cranks on their own. However, that is all just talk and dealt only with watercraft.

I have one more double race weekend coming off to finish the season and I will have time to get the Hotrod crank shipped off along with some other goodies to Andrew.

On a side note Isn't ProX made in China as well? Their rods work fine as well.

Joe..........

ProX is made in Japan according to the stamp in the rods.

Weisco and Hot Rods are made in China when it comes to cranks. Weisco does market their pistons made in the US, but its hard to verify.

So I have read some bad press but I am taking the plunge. I bought a 200 crank. I will send it off to Andrew to have him check it out and we will all know the truth. No BS just the facts.

Joe.........

I had andrew do my 85 and 105 cranks. The guy is ultra meticulous and got the crank so true, both bikes had lots less vibration. He is as honest as can be and stays in constant contact giving you a blow by blow update as he works on your crank. And ships it back ASAP. He installed Pro X rods on out OE cranks. I have a spare new Hot Rod crank, but being made in China, I was going to save it for a spare/emergency and if I dont use it at all, still sell it as new in the box.

And a shameless plug for Andrew!

http://www.cookseycrank.com

Let me explain the situation. Hot Rods and Wiseco used to work together many years ago. Wiseco was the master distributor for the Hot Rods product. Around 2005 there was a divorce between Hot Rods and Wiseco. Wiseco started their line of cranks made in China. While Hot Rods continued with their suppliers in Taiwan. Since Hot Rods and Wiseco split many people are confused and associate Hot Rods with all of the problems Wiseco has had with their crank line. Hot Rods is an excellent product (not Made in China) and you will not have problems with it.

ProX is made in Japan according to the stamp in the rods.

Weisco and Hot Rods are made in China when it comes to cranks. Weisco does market their pistons made in the US, but its hard to verify.

Hi Tye1138 -

Just to confirm, all Wiseco pistons are manufactured from raw material to finished piston here at our facility in Mentor, Ohio (30 miles east of Cleveland). We control all aspects of design and manufacture, and feel that we have proven products that people can count on!

Our crankshafts are designed in house, we specify all aspects of the design, materials, clearances and quality. Our crankshafts are also tested in house on our dyno facility, to certify the design and function. We use many sources for our crankshafts and components, and we have thousands of satisfied customers using these products, and we also stand behind every one. We are known for our customer service, we want our customers to know that when they purchase a Wiseco product, they have the satisfaction knowing that the products we sell are high quality at a good price!

If you ever have questions, feel free to PM me!

Hi Tye1138 -

Just to confirm, all Wiseco pistons are manufactured from raw material to finished piston here at our facility in Mentor, Ohio (30 miles east of Cleveland). We control all aspects of design and manufacture, and feel that we have proven products that people can count on!

Our crankshafts are designed in house, we specify all aspects of the design, materials, clearances and quality. Our crankshafts are also tested in house on our dyno facility, to certify the design and function. We use many sources for our crankshafts and components, and we have thousands of satisfied customers using these products, and we also stand behind every one. We are known for our customer service, we want our customers to know that when they purchase a Wiseco product, they have the satisfaction knowing that the products we sell are high quality at a good price!

I've bought, used, & had good luck w/Wiseco pistons, made as you say in the US of A. The catch on the cranks is you don't have control over the quality of each and every crank, QC from China is often iffy. You may test first articles and find then to be fine, but down the road....

I for one would pay more to buy a crank from Wiseco if it was 100% made in the USA. Onshoring is the way to go.....

• Like 1

My OEM bottom end just let go in my '08 250SX. 4 solid years of nothing but overevving race track abuse weekly. In fact I just ordered parts.

I called Falicon who is going to build my stroker crank and I asked them which rod kit to run. They said "The OEM is great, as is the Wiseco, and the Pro-X." I said which ones should I avoid. The guy hesitated and said "Avoid Hot-Rod".

Now I've already been running Wiseco pistons and at the advise of the ex-Factory mechanic that is going to build my entire engine, I will be continuing on w/ the Wiseco.

If Wiseco offered a rod kit for my bike it would be getting that too but instead it's getting a Pro-X.

I've bought, used, & had good luck w/Wiseco pistons, made as you say in the US of A. The catch on the cranks is you don't have control over the quality of each and every crank, QC from China is often iffy. You may test first articles and find then to be fine, but down the road....

I for one would pay more to buy a crank from Wiseco if it was 100% made in the USA. Onshoring is the way to go.....

Yep I agree. I run Wiseco piston with no second thought. Then I run HOT RODs cranks, because at least they're not made in China.

If Wiseco's crank manufacturing came stateside, and had a lower price than OEM, those would be choice #1.

Yep I agree. I run Wiseco piston with no second thought. Then I run HOT RODs cranks, because at least they're not made in China.

If Wiseco's crank manufacturing came stateside, and had a lower price than OEM, those would be choice #1.

Thanks for the good feedback Skidaddy, pricing is always a conundrum. Some OEM crank prices are very low, while others are sky high!

We strive for quality at every step of the way, and thorough testing and constant monitoring of quality is the best way to guarantee a good product. We feel that our product meets quality standards while being priced fairly for the end user.

Thanks for your reply. I have used Wiesco pistons before when I use to build Ducati race motors, they never let me down. :busted:

Personally I feel that it shouldn't make a difference where a crank is made. The critical element of a crank (the balancing) should be done independently of the manufacturing process anyhow. So to verify that you guys do in-house US balancing and testing of the cranks made over seas, it just confirms that they should be MORE then adequate.

Keep up the good work! :busted:

Hi Tye1138 -

+1 for Wiseco pistons! I've driven by their facility many times, I live about 45 minutes from Mentor. I used a Wiseco piston on my very first rebuild of my Yamaha Blaster, 10 years back, and there's a Wiseco piston in my CRF450R.

My bike also has a HotRods crank. I have nothing negative to say about it, either. Great product.

both are quality items from good sources, and I use them both confidently!

got 4 ktm. im aware they gouge your eyes out on alot of the prices. some of their prices are inline with the japs though. didnt look at the price on this speific rod in question but after looking it appears to be alittle steep. agreed go with prox on the oem crank

OEM is simply too much. I am very confident that the Hotrods crank will do the job just fine. With some of the feedback I have read I want to put it to the test. My money is on it is a great product that will work just fine.

Joe.........

im sure it will be fine. heres my question though. if wiseco can make a reasonable priced piston right here in usa why they gotta outsource the cranks ?

+ on wiseco pistons. I wouldn't take a crank if it was free. Stuff made in Taiwan is a few rungs up the ladder over any p.o.s. coming out of China. You get your production sample up to snuff but when they go into full production the QC on raw material and tolerances go out the window and it's turn and burn. I have a good friend with a shop that put 2 wiseco CR250 Cranks in 2 customers bikes and both of them lost the tin can on the crank and toasted the motors. Wiseco is paying for all the labor and all parts needed to fix the motors.

Wiseco knows they have a problem with the cranks and is making good but who needs the grief.

if it's made in the US or Japan your good to go.

This is just the fall out from the WALMART world that we have now. You can't have dirt cheap china prices and expect made in USA quality.

I don't shop at wally world or harbor freight.

just saying!

• Like 1