Sign in to follow this  

Picking out handlebars. Where do you begin??

I recently got a new ride and the bars feel like garbage, They have alot of backsweep with a really low rise. I have ridden bmx my whole life and I know that the bars I like to ride, are considered BIG. When I sit on vintage motocross bikes I really like wider feeling bars but I am 6'4" and 215. I had bar risers on my last bike and they felt great. Any suggestions on a set of bars for me? Or better yet, Tell us all how to go about picking a set of handlebars for ourselves :busted:

you definitely need a high bend at 6'4" Pro Taper has Pastrana high bends, renthals have RC high bends. Not sure what their sweep is though.

What kind of riding do you do?

you definitely need a high bend at 6'4" Pro Taper has Pastrana high bends, renthals have RC high bends. Not sure what their sweep is though.

What kind of riding do you do?

I ride mostly trails and a little bit of everything really. I dont want Bark Busters on my bike though or Hand Guards or whatever they're called haha I cant stand the way those things look and feel... :busted:

Oh and another thing, websites show pictures of handlebars with the bar pad on them... Do they actually come with a crossbar pad?? I have never bought bars before haha

Most bars don't come with the pad. You'd be very happy with a pro taper evo Kevin windham bar.

There are many threads on this subject, but following is a list of the taller bends you might consider. You can also check the mfgr websites for dimensions to compare different bends.

Oh, and if you ride anywhere there are trees I highly recommend some type of bark buster, I also have not broke a single lever since I started using them almost 20 years ago.

RC High Bend

KX High Bend

FMX Pastrana (these are narrower than the above bends, might be a good thing if you ride tight woods)

FMX Pastrana (these are narrower than the above bends, might be a good thing if you ride tight woods)

^^ This , if you ride trails. They are high bend and not as wide for nice tight areas.

Well, if you're using 1 1/8" bars, Renthal is blowing out Suzuki/KTM bends in grey for $49.

Disregard, found them.

Edited by brianc142

Disregard, found them.

Friend them on FB and you'll see all the deals they have.

I've bought 2 pro taper evo bars. No pad either time.

IDK where you buy your bars from but mine always came like this:

bodyparts-pro-taper-offroad-handlebars-contour-jet-black-in-box.jpg

my renthal 7/8" bars came with a pad. if i could remember if i had the RC or CR high bars i'd tell ya. it's one of them though, i'm a similar height and i love 'em. they're awful for trails riding though as they're 32" wide. really hard to stuff it between trees.

i see these are only available in the countour 1 1/8" bars. I have yamaha 7/8" triple clamps. What would this combo be like if i were to use pro tapers bar adapters? and how are the bar adapters? are they safe to use? or just a band aid? would this combo give me way too much height?