Sign in to follow this  

Eric Gorr RM265

Instead of doing a 250 top end this winter I'm considering making my RM a 265cc. Does anyone have any real world experience with this kit? I'm anxious to see what the difference (seat of the pants) there is between the stock 250 and the 265 kit.

Yes, i have an Eric Gorr 265 and i love it. What kind of riding will you be doing with it?

The reason i asked is because i rode both Hare scrambles and MX (and a bunch of just play riding) this year and i would give it different reviews for different types of riding.

I will say that i think it is worth it for any kind of riding. the difference is that for woods and hare scramble i would consider a flywheel weight if you are the kind that keeps the power on the pipe. in real tight stuff it can be a hand full, but that can be said for any 250 2T i suppose. the great thing is that it lugs MUCH better than a stock 2T. I added a flywheel weight and i think that this bike is much better for woods riding now than any 450 out there. you get the extra low end power and torque without all of the extra weight of a 450. and off the start..... well you will be glad you had the extra power. the last HS i did i started 2nd against a ton of 450s, but that is also where a FWW will hurt you a little. so there is a compromise there.

Anyway, before i ramble on too long, I think that the 265 kit is a great idea and i have had NO issues with it at all. I didn't even have to jet the bike differently. And even though he seemed to get a little annoyed by all of my questions, Eric Gorr is a stand-up guy and does great work and i will not hesitate to go to him again for any engine work.

I just got the 265 kit for the O'le 93. My cyl needed replate so I sent to Eric. eric said he had a 93 cyl. on shelf that would make my o'le bike a 265 and could mail out the next day.

He gave me a great deal and it was in my hands before last weekend.

I installed, but have not fired up yet as some pressing things came up. I should be firing her up tonight :busted:, may give a report in morning.

Eric said it (265) would help with my basic non-low end that is noticed on the 93-95 motors.

i should notice a big diff he claims. I also run harescrambles and have an 8oz flywheel already. That helped a bunch, now can't wait to see what the extra poinies did or didn't do.

The reason i asked is because i rode both Hare scrambles and MX (and a bunch of just play riding) this year and i would give it different reviews for different types of riding.

I will say that i think it is worth it for any kind of riding. the difference is that for woods and hare scramble i would consider a flywheel weight if you are the kind that keeps the power on the pipe. in real tight stuff it can be a hand full, but that can be said for any 250 2T i suppose. the great thing is that it lugs MUCH better than a stock 2T. I added a flywheel weight and i think that this bike is much better for woods riding now than any 450 out there. you get the extra low end power and torque without all of the extra weight of a 450. and off the start..... well you will be glad you had the extra power. the last HS i did i started 2nd against a ton of 450s, but that is also where a FWW will hurt you a little. so there is a compromise there.

Anyway, before i ramble on too long, I think that the 265 kit is a great idea and i have had NO issues with it at all. I didn't even have to jet the bike differently. And even though he seemed to get a little annoyed by all of my questions, Eric Gorr is a stand-up guy and does great work and i will not hesitate to go to him again for any engine work.

dj, I just want to be sure that you only went with a larger bore and that you did NOT have Eric do anything to the cylinder head or the ports? Also, what pipe are you running?

dj, I just want to be sure that you only went with a larger bore and that you did NOT have Eric do anything to the cylinder head or the ports? Also, what pipe are you running?

oh, sorry about that. that is a very good point. Yes, i have the cylinder ported for more "overall" power. he has 3 different porting options, high, low and overall. i also run the PC Platinum and 304 silencer.

Here is a little show of the power........ OK, i just think it's a cool pic.

startvm.jpg

Another reason I'm considering the 265 is because the bike doesn't seem to want to lug like my previous 2011 300 KTM (not surprising) the RM has great mid and top but for my riding style falls on its face when trying to lug 3rd gear in the woods even geared 13/50. I miss the 300 grunt and hope that the 265 is the answer, I'm not looking for a fire breathing mx motor I just want more torque.

Another reason I'm considering the 265 is because the bike doesn't seem to want to lug like my previous 2011 300 KTM (not surprising) the RM has great mid and top but for my riding style falls on its face when trying to lug 3rd gear in the woods even geared 13/50. I miss the 300 grunt and hope that the 265 is the answer, I'm not looking for a fire breathing mx motor I just want more torque.

If that is what you are looking for then i would say go for it.

It probably won't have as much down low as a 300, but it will make a big difference over stock.

I'm also considering this In the near future. Have you changes anything on you're bottom end? As the bigger bore will add more stress to it.

I'm also considering this In the near future. Have you changes anything on you're bottom end? As the bigger bore will add more stress to it.

no, bottom is completely stock.

i plan on doing this at some point also.

Eric told me that i could expect about 4-5 more hp.

I just cant justify it as my cylinder is perfect right now.....

pretty sure that your choice of porting comes with all of his big bore kits, I know it comes with the 295 kit. no extra charge!

I would think porting for more bottom end and/ or adding compression would be a better mod for more low end than a big bore.

My 03 with different porting than the 06, 03 favours bottom end, has plenty of lugability compared to my buddy's XCW300.

Also what pipe?