Mountain Bike Scum

What is it with mountain bikers and there feeling of self rightousness and ownership of trails. Just had to spend 15mins of a good ride yesterday arguing with some mountain bikers about our right to be there.

A little history here. I live on an acreage in the mountains about 15min from a small town. Been living here 25yrs. When I first moved here I was alone dirt biking in the mountains around my place. There were some old trail systems in place and I continued to develop more over the years. Well about 7-8yrs later mountain bikes started showing up. Over the years there are more, more, they're like a virus :bonk:

Anyways I have no problem, we can all share the trails. Hikers, bikers, horses, dirt bikes. But MBers always get all sole ownership about trails. "These trails are MB only" Hear that alot, funny thing, often on trails I built.

Usually a little education to these folks about the history of the area and everythings all good. But these guys yesterday would not give up. It got quite heated you could say :busted:

I started going into a real rant when they said we destroy trails but MB's and even Trials bikes, since buddy owned one, were OK. Well I informed him of how many trails I have seen destroyed by MB's over the years, not to mention the destruction of the access road to my neibourhood from there trucks tearing up the gravel road driving shuttle for there trails.

Anyways they never got it :busted:

Are the trails single track? Because if they arent you can just dead the argument right there.

Around here we have a "rails to trails" system that was a funded govt. project that built bicycle trails out of old rail ways. Those trails are bicycle only. (Clearly posted).

Any other trail around here was build by a quad or dirtbike, and MBs can kiss my ass!! To be honest with you it woulda never got as far a heated argument with them, as I probably wouldnt have stopped to acknowledge their existence.

Are the trails single track? Because if they arent you can just dead the argument right there.

Around here we have a "rails to trails" system that was a funded govt. project that built bicycle trails out of old rail ways. Those trails are bicycle only. (Clearly posted).

Any other trail around here was build by a quad or dirtbike, and MBs can kiss my ass!! To be honest with you it woulda never got as far a heated argument with them, as I probably wouldnt have stopped to acknowledge their existence.

Definately true single track. Like you say usually you go right by them. We had gone right by these guys 5 min earlier. They were riding a trail traversing the mountain. We were riding up a trail climbing up meeting the traverse trail. It was a tech climb, coulpe vert steps, roots, rocks, etc. So my one buddy had made it up, second ghost looped his bike to the top and was picking up the pieces when thee guys pedaled up. I was stuck 50ft below the whole time yelling at them and foaming at the mouth :busted:

My buddy finally told him " You don't want that guy coming up here, you guys should probably get going" :busted:

• Like 1

Time to start putting logs in the trails. Not a big deal for hikers, horses, dirt bikes, but it's something that can ruin trails for the MBers, and they might stop showing up.

Believe me that thought crossed my head, something I could do in my week of winter trail maintenance.

Seriously though it's not going to stop them. They just need to stop thinking they are "Holier than thou"

What is it with mountain bikers and there feeling of self rightousness and ownership of trails. Just had to spend 15mins of a good ride yesterday arguing with some mountain bikers about our right to be there.

A little history here. I live on an acreage in the mountains about 15min from a small town. Been living here 25yrs. When I first moved here I was alone dirt biking in the mountains around my place. There were some old trail systems in place and I continued to develop more over the years. Well about 7-8yrs later mountain bikes started showing up. Over the years there are more, more, they're like a virus :bonk:

Anyways I have no problem, we can all share the trails. Hikers, bikers, horses, dirt bikes. But MBers always get all sole ownership about trails. "These trails are MB only" Hear that alot, funny thing, often on trails I built.

Usually a little education to these folks about the history of the area and everythings all good. But these guys yesterday would not give up. It got quite heated you could say :busted:

I started going into a real rant when they said we destroy trails but MB's and even Trials bikes, since buddy owned one, were OK. Well I informed him of how many trails I have seen destroyed by MB's over the years, not to mention the destruction of the access road to my neibourhood from there trucks tearing up the gravel road driving shuttle for there trails.

Anyways they never got it :busted:

15 minute argument? I'd have simply said that you're welcome to show me where I have no right to be here. If they guy wanted to argue, put the burden of proof on him.

Regardless, I'd have just said, "have a good time!" and rode off. Life's too short to argue with the self centered. Many seem to suffer from MMI syndrome.

• Like 1

Believe me that thought crossed my head, something I could do in my week of winter trail maintenance.

Seriously though it's not going to stop them. They just need to stop thinking they are "Holier than thou"

Strangely enough, that attitude disappears when most people take their first fist to the nose.

Strangely enough, that attitude disappears when most people take their first fist to the nose.

Then you wake up and realize that assault and battery charges are no fun. Don't get me wrong, some seem to need an attitude adjustment, but as an adult, I'd rather put up with 'tude than wind up in court and cost myself lots of money b/c I couldn't control my temper. Some people are just beyond your influence.

Tribal Tribal Tribal.......you have to be smarter then the mountain biker! A few big logs as previously said can slow down even the most experienced of MBs. Put a big log or two at the bottom of a good down hill, on a angle! None of them will ever bring a saw out to cut them out of the way.

• Like 1

Then you wake up and realize that assault and battery charges are no fun. Don't get me wrong, some seem to need an attitude adjustment, but as an adult, I'd rather put up with 'tude than wind up in court and cost myself lots of money b/c I couldn't control my temper. Some people are just beyond your influence.

I'm not saying walk up to the guy and punch him. Not at all. That's stupid. However, if somebody is yelling in my face, they should move away. I consider it a physical threat and will react accordingly.

If you do that and someone gets hurt, well that area will be ridden with cops. Not to mention the assault charge you will face and the news will be on the helpless green MB side. I do both dirt and bike along with snowmobile and seen many bad things happen. Not knowing the area but be very sure you’re not trespassing and that somehow the trails were not designated "not motorized". Funny how easily these trails can be converted without notice even if you built them. Most MB will not have a problem if the trails are respected.

• Like 1

That sucks ---

Its useless to argue with idiots though. I have a local lake with a large trail system -- one end of the lake has MTB trails and the other end has ORV trails (dirt bikes and quads - but most of the quads can't get into tight singletrack)

A few times a year i try to do an "AC/DC" ride where i do a few loops on the dirt bike, load up - then drive to the mountain bike trailhead for a few miles on the mountain bike to close out the day. A lot of the guys genuinely seem intrigued about the Yamaha and i get asked a ton of questions about it -- i'd like to think i've influenced a person or two to try a moto scoot out for themselves, but IDK

Tribal Tribal Tribal.......you have to be smarter then the mountain biker! A few big logs as previously said can slow down even the most experienced of MBs. Put a big log or two at the bottom of a good down hill, on a angle! None of them will ever bring a saw out to cut them out of the way.

I can stop faster on my mtn bike then my dirtbike.... also, big logs at angles suck on dirtbikes, while a mtn bike can simply be carried over with very little effort...

riding mtn bikes does suck on dirtbike trails..... good thing I like dirtbikes better

• Like 1

Just curious but what type of land is it and who is the land manager? Private? Timber? State/Fed?

Based on the initial post, I have a feeling that, technically speaking, neither dirt bikers or mountain bikers are supposed to be on those trials. If that's the case both groups should just keep their mouths shut and enjoy it while it lasts.

Otherwise, if it's an established trail network with an active land manager, there shouldn't be any question as to whether or not dirt bikes are allowed on the trails.

Just curious but what type of land is it and who is the land manager? Private? Timber? State/Fed?

Based on the initial post, I have a feeling that, technically speaking, neither dirt bikers or mountain bikers are supposed to be on those trials. If that's the case both groups should just keep their mouths shut and enjoy it while it lasts.

Otherwise, if it's an established trail network with an active land manager, there shouldn't be any question as to whether or not dirt bikes are allowed on the trails.

Doesn't work like that here. It's crown land, as is 90% of the land in BC. That means free for ANY user group to use.

There's no way you could ever come close to having a budget for land management in BC. There are a few key areas in BC that are specified as motorized free, and this is not one of them.