Sign in to follow this  

2011 Fork Seals

So, I've been going through fork seals like they're going out of fashion.. mainly due to pits on the fork legs and I've decided I need to learn to change them myself.

My question is, as I have all the tools except for the inner chamber key.. Can I do the seals without touching the inner chamber?

Do I just drain the oil from the outer tube then work as normal? The only videos / examples I can find all change the inner chamber oil.. unfortunately until I get the key to open it I have no choice but to leave them (I want to ride tomorrow).

Or do both sets of oil need to be changed together?

Cheers

Yes you can change them without touching the inner chamber. its pretty simple to do though and if you can find the tool at a shop near you it is only $30-$40.

So, I've been going through fork seals like they're going out of fashion.. mainly due to pits on the fork legs and I've decided I need to learn to change them myself.

My question is, as I have all the tools except for the inner chamber key.. Can I do the seals without touching the inner chamber?

Do I just drain the oil from the outer tube then work as normal? The only videos / examples I can find all change the inner chamber oil.. unfortunately until I get the key to open it I have no choice but to leave them (I want to ride tomorrow).

Or do both sets of oil need to be changed together?

Cheers

Have you thought of getting the pits addressed so seals last longer? Depends how bad but most suspension shops can polish out smaller ones.

i have a friend with a 2011 and hes havin the same issue with seals. his forks are fine and a good susp. guy has done them also

do it yourself. Its not very hard and great experience.

If your changing seals, you really should change the inner fluid and adds very little time to the overall.

If you have nicks on your forks, then I would send it off for repair as you will keep going through seals until you have it buffed out