Sign in to follow this  

450R silent exhaust options

Hello sirs,

due to tougher sound requirements I'll have to make some modifications to my stock 2007 CRF450R exhaust. I got my hands on a very cheap 2008 CRF450X muffler in great condition that I tought I'd use, I don't mind loosing some power, the 450 is a way more than I can handle anyways.

Since the X muffler is not a direct bolt on I guess it leaves me with three choices:

1. I can use the X muffler with the stock R TI headpipe. The muffler slips on but the headpipe is a bit too short and leaves me unable to use the midpipe mounting whole, the rear one fits perfectly though. The exhaust still feels pretty stable and I could stabalize it further with zip ties or similar, but I assume it's not recommended to drive like this. The setup is very silent and of course the most inexpensive solution :busted:

2. Second choice is to pick up a stock X headpipe as well. I've read other threads stating that this setup would fit with only a minor modification to the rear mounting whole of the muffler. Used headpipes are sold pretty cheap on ebay.

3. Last choice is to go for an upgraded headpipe like FMF or similar, but I've read conflicting statements whether this would fit with the stock X muffler.

Would I have to do any other modification to use the X muffler safely? I don't want to break anything on the bike, like overheating it or worse.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello sirs,

due to tougher sound requirements I'll have to make some modifications to my stock 2007 CRF450R exhaust. I got my hands on a very cheap 2008 CRF450X muffler in great condition that I tought I'd use, I don't mind loosing some power, the 450 is a way more than I can handle anyways.

Since the X muffler is not a direct bolt on I guess it leaves me with three choices:

1. I can use the X muffler with the stock R TI headpipe. The muffler slips on but the headpipe is a bit too short and leaves me unable to use the midpipe mounting whole, the rear one fits perfectly though. The exhaust still feels pretty stable and I could stabalize it further with zip ties or similar, but I assume it's not recommended to drive like this. The setup is very silent and of course the most inexpensive solution :busted:

2. Second choice is to pick up a stock X headpipe as well. I've read other threads stating that this setup would fit with only a minor modification to the rear mounting whole of the muffler. Used headpipes are sold pretty cheap on ebay.

3. Last choice is to go for an upgraded headpipe like FMF or similar, but I've read conflicting statements whether this would fit with the stock X muffler.

Would I have to do any other modification to use the X muffler safely? I don't want to break anything on the bike, like overheating it or worse.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

The mid pipe mount is usually important for overall stability of the system.

If all you have to do is oval out the mount hole or similar this is the way I would go. (in bold)

If you do a search in the 450x section you could find the compatable years for the X'es and R's.

Hello,the only year "R" that the "X" exhaust is a direct fit for is 05.I have an 06 with a stock R head pipe with the X muffler,what I did to make it fit was this,I used a die grinder with a cut off wheel to cut through the welds on the mid pipe mounting bracket that is welded to the mid,I removed the mount without cutting into the actual pipe. Then I remounted the pipe on my bike and bolted on the previously removed mount and marked the location then welded it on.

I have been using this configuration for a couple of years in noise sensitive areas,and honestly the difference in power even in the quiet mode to a full race exhaust is so small it's not worth mentioning.cheers

Edited by wingman111

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Guess I'll go for what comes my way first then, an X headpipe or a good welder.

Based on Lead Head's input I figure it shouldn't do too much harm to go for a couple of runs as is though until I sort out what the final setup will look like.

Wingman: Do you make any adjustments; re-jetting etc when switching between the different configurations or do you just bolt in on and go? You say you hardly feel any powerloss at all, any other differences I should be aware of?

-Ron

The only jetting changes I make between a Pro circuit Ti slip on and the X muffler is about a half turn in on the fuel screw from the setting from the open pipe.cheers