Sign in to follow this  

Third Race report

Welcome back race fans to another addition of the newbie off road racer diary. Sorry all no helmet cam for this race, it will be explained later. This race was held at Moonrocks just north of Reno NV and was my third race to date. It was a 40 mile loop, 2 loop total, 1 to finish. If you've ever ridden Moonrocks you know just how whooped out the place is. I was calling this race the Whoop-di-do Grand Prix, and it didn't fail to live up to the name. It was like riding a mechanical bull for 3 hours haha. It was also my best race, and the most fun. My first two races were torturous and more for the accomplishment. This race had a lot of enjoyment to it.

The start for the race was your typical field that funneled everyone into a sand wash. Being Moonrocks, it was a silt sand wash, which made visibility almost zero once we hit it behind the experts and amateurs. I was about middle of the pack off the start and just tried to make it out of the dust with out crashing. In fact that was one of my goals for this race, less crashing. Crashing REALLY does wear you out so much more than riding. Second goal was, keep moving. No more sitting for a breather after a tip over. Pick the bike up, kick it and keep rolling. The other goal was to find my pace. In my first two races I didn't know what my pace felt like. What speed could I go for hours on end and still be able to control the bike? I KNEW that newbie racers launch out of the start and blast away... only to gas 10 miles in and limp the rest of the race. I knew NOT to do that, but I did it anyways. Why? Because racing is FUN!!! It's exciting!!! And to head out into the desert in a giant pack of buddies who all share the same feelings as you... well it's hard to reign that in. But I wanted to focus on doing that in this race. Setting and meeting goals is in my opinion essential to gaining skills.

Once I made it clear of the sand wash and out into clean air we were immediately funneled into a sketchy rocky downhill that only had room for one bike at a time and we all stopped. I was lucky that I made a few passes before we got there and was only stuck in it for 20 minutes. Some novices I heard sat for 45 minutes waiting for their turn to go down it. There were no alternate routes and the Rimbenders had someone standing and making sure no one went around it. Not really sure why that was in like mile 2 of the race, but oh well. I got through it and into the flats and started finding my rhythm in the whoops.

Here is video of the downhill. You can see the person wearing the Toad hat from Mario Cart. I guess I should explain that haha.

An odd side note, this was a Halloween race so me and some friends dressed up. We had Mario, Wario, Luigi and Toad. We were going to tape banana's to our number plates and go all Mario Kart on people, but we ended up eating all the bananas before the race started hehe.

Here's a pic of me as Luigi.

2011RimbendersBigBikes091.jpg

I was doing really great in the flats and heading up into Dogskin mountains into a few miles of single track on the side of the mountains. I hadn't been passed and found a pace that was quick enough to stick with the guy ahead of me but not so fast that it wore me out. I ended up catching the guy in front of me and was too close to him on a hill climb and spun out. This is something I need to work on too as it's happened more than once where I was faster than someone and they held me up in a technical section which ended up losing me a lot of time. The Dogskins had a bunch of down hill waterfalls and then dropped us down to alt gas at the pits around mile 17. From then on it was uphill water falls, more whoops and some fun hill climbs.

I managed to finish 77th out of 119 riders. I completed 1 loop and was lapped by the first 4 riders. 6th in class for novice 4 stroke. All kinds of fun and I learned a lot. Can't wait for the last race of the season which is a 135 mile point to point race. It's going to be awesome because my first 4 races will all have been a different kind of race. Harescramble, enduro, hare and hound, and lastly a point to point.

haah i cannot tell you how much i love that pic of you with the front end up in the luigi costume, well done. :busted: