Sign in to follow this  

first top end rebuild

i have a 2004 rm 85, and i've never changed anything with the engine other than the oils and spark plug. I'm looking at rebuilding the top end and I know I'm already way overdue. What specific tools will I need in order to do this? Any specific techniques involved? I will be buying an online service manual so I will have one when I do the rebuild. Can I just replace the piston and rings, or should I replace all the gaskets as well? I plan on going with Wiseco's top end kit, as I've read great reviews about them. Do I need to run a richer fuel to oil mixture during break-in time?

All help is greatly appreciated!

You will need a set of calipers to check the bore or you can just take it to your local bike shop and have them Mic it. For their service buy the piston kit from them. Make sure you get all the gaskets for the top end and get OEM gaskets!!! I can't stress that enough!!!! Take your time, ask questions, check your ring gap, you will need a set of filler gages for that. Make sure you get the wrist pin bearing too. Its about another $12 bucks. AGAIN....Go OEM on the gaskets. Check your crank rod tolerance while you're in there. In case you didn't hear me,,,,get OEM gaskets!! lol

Make sure you get the piston in the correct direction. The arrow towards exhaust port. Put a rag down around the crank while working on it so nothing falls down in there like the cir clips.

My sons Yz85 calls for 15:1 during breakin but I don't run it. I run it about 28:1. After the breakin I let him run my 32:1 since he isn't in the pipe that hard anyway.

Good luck! Its not hard to do.:busted:

Oh, and a torque wrench....haha right when I added that rm250o chimed :busted: I am sure there is other stuff but we coverd most of it.