Sign in to follow this  

05 250r starting problems......

BEWARE: This is my first thumper so if i sound dumb or overlook somthing obvious, please tell me.

Alright so the trusty 05kx125 was sold and we bought a 05 250r from my dads friend. We havent been able to start it cold at all, only once. Once i pop it and warm it up, rarely it'll fire up just kicking, sometimes it'll fire up from pulling hotstart and holding half throttle, sometimes it'll fire if you whack the gas as you kick..... when im kicking through slowly i cant feel tdc at all. It dosent feel like it gets harder at any point in the stroke, maybe its cause i have boots on but i think it might be the valves out of spec. It has a High compression piston and a hotcam. im not allowed to ride for the rest of the year but what from ive read on here theres a couple things i think it might be.

-I read that if it pops on decel that you need to turn the fuel screw out or change the pilot but theres no fuel screw at all on my carb.

-The valves could be out, i think its partly this because i cant feel tdc at all.

-My dads mechanic friend thinks that the accelerator pump may be gummed up a bit because it sat a lot rarely getting ridden, but it runs like a top once you get it fired.

:busted: <--- me after kicking and it not starting. :busted:

Pull the Carb and clean it, record what jets are in it. See how many turn out the fuel screw is.

Check the valves clearance

You need a starting point when dealing with a new bike. Especially since it sat.

Theres a fuel screw, and if theres not, that may be why it wont run....

This is possible. If its turned out too far it could fall out while riding. The fuel screw is on the bottom of the carb in the front. Its small and kinda hard to get to. If it sat for a long time with old gas in it its very possible that the pilot jet is varnished shut. Your best bet is to buy a new one that is the same size as the one that is in there now.