Sign in to follow this  

Hand brake lever question

Broke my brake lever and just got the new one in the mail. The one that broke didnt have anything in the hole where the lever contacts the caliper ram and I checked the parts diagram. Theres supposed to be something in that hole but its discontinued from Honda. Anyone have a pic of whats supposed to be there or a workaround? Thanks.

Oh ya its an 83 XL600R

Might be better if you post a picture of what you mean and what you have on your bike as none of my 600s have a hole that something goes into..There's a switch with two wires running from it to the loom.. a pin in the switch contacts with the tab on the lever,,thus opening the circuit as you pull the lever in,,No parts fiche I've looked at shows that part..,looked at 2 different years,,the 83 and the 86 from the CMSNL site and Service Honda site..The more detailed Service Honda remote desktop (RDP) way of viewing parts may show it but is not back up and running for a couple of weeks according to the webmaster..,.Sent him an email the other day to find out why it's broken,,new system up soon he said..

you mean on the actual lever?

mine(xr600) has a hole where a spring goes...it rests against something on the master cylinder... Im assuming another hole. jaja

is this what you mean?

cheers

you mean on the actual lever?

mine(xr600) has a hole where a spring goes...it rests against something on the master cylinder... Im assuming another hole. jaja

is this what you mean?

cheers

Thats the one. do you have a pic of it? The parts are discontinued and I need to see it so I can make a replacement.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64/img0170dw.jpg/

So I take it yours is more like that example,,from my 89 bitza.., I'm not pulling it apart to look at the plunger as I think I may need to bleed the brakes should I do that..,Can be a nightmare on some of these XR front ends..Doubt you could make the internal assembly..

If you just mean the lever all it has is a threaded allen head screw with a locknut on it running through the lever to the plunger..Contacts the end of the plunger..sort of an adjuster of some description..Think that assemblies from an RFVC 500..Some handle bar brake master cylinders don't have brake light fittings some do..

Edited by Horri

Thats the one. do you have a pic of it? The parts are discontinued and I need to see it so I can make a replacement.

Sorry bud...I lost my camera YET AGAIN!

go to a hobbyshop or something and look for a spring about an inch long and 2-3mm wide...it just sits in there to prevent the lever shaking and pressing the mcylinder piston..

it's there to keep the lever in the OFF position...

cheers

horri...all..

That is the lever free play allen screw...In other words its there to adjust the amount of freeplay before you actuate the piston in the master cilnder(the plunger)

what I think voodoolord is refferreing to is when you take the lever off, behind the lever and in between it and the housing there is a hole on each end where a spring goes...its there for what I mentioned in the previous post.

Think of a retractable ball point pen...it has one of those springs in it except larger

no need to buy oem, just find whatevr fits...

cheers

I think the springs push the level back out when you pull it in. Probably any honda OEM spring woudl work.