Sign in to follow this  

95 Honda Xr250r Problems starting bike

Having trouble starting my 95 Honda xr250r. I bought a new spark plug, cleaned the carb, and bought new high octane gas and it still won't start. I think it has something to do with compression handle that is next to the clutch. Any suggestions?

How about some more details. How long have you had the bike? Did it ever start easy? How long has the bike sat before running last? Here's a checklist

No fuel flow:

Fuel tap vacuum hose clogged

Fuel tank air vent obstructed

Fuel tap clogged

Fuel line clogged

Float valve clogged

Engine flooded:

Fuel level in carburetor float bowl too high

Float valve worn or stuck open

Starting technique faulty

(When flooded, crank the engine with the throttle fully open to allow more air to reach the engine.)

No spark; spark weak:

Battery voltage low

Spark plug dirty, broken, or maladjusted

Spark plug cap or high tension wiring trouble

Spark plug cap not in good contact

Spark plug incorrect

IC igniter trouble

Neutral, starter lockout, or side stand switch trouble

Pickup coil trouble

Ignition coil trouble

Ignition or engine stop switch shorted

Wiring shorted or open

Main fuse blown

Compression Low:

Spark plug loose

Cylinder head not sufficiently tightened down

No valve clearance

Cylinder, piston worn

Piston ring bad (worn, weak broken, or sticking)

Piston ring/land clearance excessive

Cylinder head gasket damaged

Cylinder head warped

Valve spring broken or weak

Valve not seating properly (valve bent, worn, or carbon accumulation on the seating surface)

I had the bike for like a month and a half now. When I first bought it the guy said that he hadn't rode in like a year. When I test drove it, it started up on the third or fourth try and I rode it around the block and it seemed to run good. So I bought it and took it home that night. The next day I started it up on like the 5 or 6 try and I rode it around the block. I probably did that like four or five times. The first 5 or 6 times I rode it I would start it with the choke up and ride it with the choke up. Then after that a few days later I rode it half way around the block and it died on me and I would try starting it back up and then it would just die again almost immediately. So I had to push it back to my house. So I left it alone for a few weeks and then came back to it recently the other with new high octane gas and a new spark plug and tried to start it again because it hadn't been starting at all after I had rode half way around the block and it died. It started up with the choke down and then died immediately. I had my friend come over the next day and clean the carb and he tried to start it with the choke down and up and it wouldn't start at all. It seems as though float valve is getting stuck open because it sounds like its flooding the engine when we tried to start it, but I'm not 100% positive about it. If the float valve is getting stuck open how would I know and what should I do?

On most of the older XR carburetors the choke is "on" when the lever is in the up position and "off" in the down position. Verify it by looking at the plunger the choke lever is attached to. THe choke is open or on when the plunger is lifted up. A carb properly set up on a bike once warmed up will die if the choke stays on unless the bike is running really lean to begin with. If your float valve is stuck open it will run out the overflow tube attached to the bottom of the carb bowl or if that's plugged it will overflow into your airbox or engine cylinder. If your float valve is stuck open you'd smell it for sure either way.

Come to think of it. Yesterday when my friend tried to start my bike some gas shot back into the airbox and leaked out on the ground. So I think it is that the float valve is stuck open or the overflow tube is plugged up. And I did smell when we tried starting it up. What should I do if thats the case?

take the carb out again, remove the bowl, bowl float pin and the float. The float valve will be attached. examine the tip of the valve for distortion. Some people take a q tip and something like Brasso and spin the q tip in the float valve seat to smooth it out. Make sure you clean out the residue when it's dry. Clean your carburetors thoroughly again while your at it and take a fine wire (bread twist tie with the paper off it) and push it down through the small thin rod that sticks out of the carburetor bowl. Test your carb for leaking before you put it back on the bike by keeping the bowl off, holding the float up with a finger and getting some fuel or water in the carb with a small funnel and a fuel hose. Move the float with your finger up and down and see if the valve stops the flow of liquid. Also check you float height. Once again, this is where a service manual comes into play for all your carb settings,adjustments, diagnostics and tests.

hey sammy, sounds like ya did all to get it to run olready.

i have read accounts of the auto decompression deallybop thing by the clutch cable being out ofadjustment and making the xr very hard to start.

What i did to mine is i disconnected it completely/removing cable is sufficient.

keep the upper one attached and adjusted.

here is the link to a setup page for the xr250s..... http://justxr.com/jh_info/xr250_tips.html

some of this info may help ya.

Thanks guys. Ya I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that compression handle being out of adjustment but I just don't have the tools necessary to fix it but gonna take it somewhere and have them readjust it back to what it should be.