Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400 Head Prob

Hi there,

Just decided to strip my bike as was burning a lot of oil. When I took the head off noticed scoring on the Inlet Camshaft and where it sits when it goes around. Bike ran ok apart from oil prob. Very expensive for a new head and Cam. Will this be a problem and will it cause engine probs in Future as was going to find the Oil Problem and then stick it all back together. What do People think?

Cheers

Gaz

Based on what you posted so far.

Yes, No, Maybe.. :busted:

Oil starvation problems usually result in damage to the head, just where you state you found it. Aluminum smeared on the cam often can be removed with some scrubbing and muriatic acid. The head can be reused, repaired, or needs to be replaced based on the damage done, and for that, we need some close up clear pictures to assist in answering.

Did you measure how much oil you had when you drained it ..?...

If unfamiliar with oil checking procedures with a dry sump it's easy to misinterpret low dip stick readings for oil consumption ....

Then adding more would cause overfilling ,causing it to blow lots of blue smoke....

Not got any Pics at Mo, but def got damage on cam and where it rotates. Just wondering if It can ever seize with this kind of wear. Also can't find the oil problem which is coming ou the exhaust, looked at the Piston and rings and they look fine. What Should I be looking for and how can I tell if the rings are not good as all looks good and clean with no scorching also the plug was fine and not oiled. Also checked the stem seals and they looked ok, so where else could the oil be coming from which is blowing out the exhaust.

Just taken off the Clutch cover and noticed oil coming out of the bottom of it and the clutch has some oil on it? Any Help be great.

Cheers

Gaz

Just taken off the Clutch cover and noticed oil coming out of the bottom of it and the clutch has some oil on it? Any Help be great.

Cheers

Gaz

OK but what is the question?

If it's oil and the clutch... that would be because like most motorcycles, the DRZ has a wet clutch..ie, it's supposed to be covered in oil. :busted:

if not the question.. What is?

Yeah Realised that when I completley took it off, as thought it was a dry Clutch. Struggled with the Clutch Retaining nut and broke the Basket and one of the other bits. I wouldnt advise anyone trying to do this without a an Air Tool.

Yeah Realised that when I completley took it off, as thought it was a dry Clutch. Struggled with the Clutch Retaining nut and broke the Basket and one of the other bits. I wouldnt advise anyone trying to do this without a an Air Tool.

Basic, Special and Home Made tools Just for the DRZ

Erik Marquez

Published by E.Marquez

07-26-2008

Removing the clutch hub nut without air tools is very doable, you just need the the correct tool. Buy it from motion Pro, or make one.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8487&d=1217106114

attachment.php?attachmentid=8486&d=1217106114

attachment.php?attachmentid=8488&d=1217106114

Did you measure how much oil you had when you drained it ..?...

If unfamiliar with oil checking procedures with a dry sump it's easy to misinterpret low dip stick readings for oil consumption ....

Then adding more would cause overfilling ,causing it to blow lots of blue smoke....

Word.

But of course overfilling would not damage a cam bearing.