when is your bike too old

when exactly is a bike not worth rebuilding? for example i have a 2001 kx 250 that needs a top end rebuild in the future... with new graphics and plastics and a new seat it will look .....the tires and suspension are all good. so the bike is ten years old now but when is it too old to mess with ? i dont race just trail ride.

I guess it comes down to how much cash you have or want to burn on this hobby. I'm tempted each year when I see the new bikes roll out, but for years I've been happy enough to update or refreshen my '02 CR250. If I got a new machine it would just be a luxury, the old CR runs better than I do.

Id love to find a late 90's or early 00's KX... I just brought a super neglected 96 Yz 250 back to life with a ground up rebuild and I actually race it now and again when Im feeling frisky. It hangs just fine with the newer bikes! So Id say no its not too old! Its actually tighter than my 08 (everyday racer) at this point!

I would say a bike is too old when you want more than the bike can give. Is it lacking anywhere? If not then throw a top end in it and keep going! Of course if I had the money I would pick up a new bike every year when they came out.

I think you still have a few more good years left in that machine if you take care of it.

I have a '99 YZ250 myself and have asked myself the same question. I will spend whatever it needs on maintenance parts to keep it a viable machine (top ends, tires, bearings when it needs it, plastic when i break it -- etc. ) but i have decided not to spend what i consider unnecessary money on it - as in - no extra bling , billet parts, fancy pegs, etc. ---

My buddies and i went to the dunes and had as follows, : My '99, another '03 YZ 250, a '07 YZ 250 and a CR250 of undetermined age ---

I rode the '07 -- there wasn't a big enough improvement for me to seriously lust after one as my primary scoot is a 450F

I kind of fell in love with my old '99 all over again after riding the '07 ---- i am a realist, i know those up to date forks and lighter frame would be an improvement on an MX course, but for dunes riding and trail riding , my 12 year old bike is still fine

If we were talking about selling a car, sell it at the point you can still get something for it. I would say 5yrs 100,000 miles. For a bike I would say at 3 yrs and this because you want a new model. After 3 yrs then keep it because it's worth more to you than someone else. You are past the point of selling imo. Fixing it up is less expensive than a new bike at 8k.

I have a 99 rm250 that I just did a complete rebuild on. I even spent money to have the suspension professionally set up. Was it worth it to spend that much money on an old bike? 100%.

I'm never going to go pro, I ride to have fun. I ride MX mostly and ride at a fair pace. I'll never get rid of that 99.

Rebuild it, ride it and most importantly have fun. That's the mos important part, fun.