Sign in to follow this  

New project for winter, so I need advice

I just found a great deal, or so I think anyway on a 94 XR650L. I bought it off Craigslist for $300. It is very rough and missing all the lights except headlight. Left side panel is missing as well as the tank scoops, and the tank is beat to crap. SO it didn't have a battery so I went to the local shop and bought one and started cranking. It has fire, carb is most likely gummed up beacause I can inject gas in the fuel line and nothing comes out the drain hole on float bowl. So I sprayed some fuel into back of carb and all it does is pop every once in a while and act like it would run. I finally broke down and did a compression check and it only has 60 psi. My problem is that I was hoping to hear it run before I tore the engine down to make sure it didn't have any lower noise, or trans/clutch issues. What should I do, risk it and just do a topend, or take it in to shop and have a complete teardown done. I just wanted a cheap woods/ trail bike to play around the countryside with.

The weather is getting colder and/or wetter. The days are getting shorter as well.

For 300 bucks it is what it is. Park it in the garage and start taking it apart. There will be more than engine issues as I am sure the bearings are shot, chain and sprockets toast and the forks and shock might need some love.

But if you do the work yourself and drop about a grand, you could have a pretty solid bike for under 1500. Plus you know that machine in and out.

There is nothing more rewarding that riding a mount that you bring back to life. I have a 91 XRR that I love to death. And because i did all the work myself...with a lot of help from TT...riding that thing is pure bliss.:busted:

So, long story short, go for it. Once you crack open the top it won't be long until you know you are just polishing a turd or not.:busted:

Pull the spark plug and rotate the rear wheel while you shift through all gears. See if it shifts well. That wont get you far as far as a load test but you shouldnt hear any grinding. pull the carbs disassemble and clean them completely. Make sure your air cut off valve is good. Drain all the oil and check for water in the case. Check your valves and make sure their adjusted right as well as your decompression valve. Recheck your compression with the throttle wide open. After the carbs are clean you may be able to get it to fire. If you still have low compression Order a gasket and seal kit and start into the top end.

Part it out, make a few bucks, and put that toward a better foundation.

To get it started, I would pull the carb and clean it. Thoroughly. Make sure it has oil and that it is getting to the head(hard to do without running the engine, but possible), make sure the valves aren't too tight, and go from there.

Took the bike to town today and steam cleaned it, not really that dirty. Now that it is cleaned I am going to remove the carb and clean it out and then try to get it to run one last time before I tear it down. I bought a Clymer manual for it, and i am not impressed because it goes all the way back to 1979 and services the XL/XR 500-650 ranges. Guess I shoulda bought a factory manual off e-bay. Lesson learned.

I bought a Clymer manual for it, and i am not impressed because it goes all the way back to 1979 and services the XL/XR 500-650 ranges. Guess I shoulda bought a factory manual off e-bay. Lesson learned.

Its good to have both.

The engine has a cam mounted decompressor which holds the RH exhaust valve slightly open during cranking. 60 psi is slightly low, but not bad. If you want to do a full compression check, you must back off the RH exhaust rocker screw a little, this deactivates the auto decompressor.

:busted:

Took the bike to town today and steam cleaned it, not really that dirty. Now that it is cleaned I am going to remove the carb and clean it out and then try to get it to run one last time before I tear it down. I bought a Clymer manual for it, and i am not impressed because it goes all the way back to 1979 and services the XL/XR 500-650 ranges. Guess I shoulda bought a factory manual off e-bay. Lesson learned.

Got to the following sticky at the top of the page.

"FAQ" There the link...

Download the Factory Service Manual there. :busted:.

Took the carb off today and cleaned it out, really wasn't that gummed up. The hoses were routed wrong, and I found that the intake boot is separating from the flange. Now for the real problem. I did as the manuals stated to check my valve clearances and I have found what may be the problem with it not starting and low compression. I think they have the cam timed wrong. I cannot loosen either of the exhaust valves enough. I bcaked them all the way out and there is still tension. I am going to pull motor and tear it down and check everything..