Sign in to follow this  

Valve adjustment question

Just re-shimmed the valves on my 06 450r, but set the lash to about .19 - .20 mm instead of .16mm. Will this cause any problems such as burning a valve?

My guess is no, since a burnt valve would require the valve to be open during the firing cycle, which would mean negative lash (in theory). Just wanted to check.

Bike fired right up after 2 kicks, starts warm, and idles nicely at 900 RPM. Thanks

nope wont hurt a thing (little noisey maybe).. just wondering why ya went way to big on clearance in the first place ????

nope wont hurt a thing (little noisey maybe).. just wondering why ya went way to big on clearance in the first place ????

well my feeler gauge went from .15 to .20 and .20 was pretty a darn tight fit. So my guess is im somewhere around .18 or .19. Thats really why. Bike runs GREAT now! Just wanted to check, thank

I prefer to run them a little tighter than spec, like .009 rather than .011 on the exhaust. Your way will be a little more noisy.

I prefer to run them a little tighter than spec, like .009 rather than .011 on the exhaust. Your way will be a little more noisy.

Seems to run and sound just fine. My left intake was totally bottomed out before, ill leave it for now and check when it starts to snow and the season is over

You might want to go ahead and order some new valves. I only got about 10hrs on my bike after the first shim before they zeroed out again and couldn't shim them again.

You might want to go ahead and order some new valves. I only got about 10hrs on my bike after the first shim before they zeroed out again and couldn't shim them again.

well, its the first adjustment ive ever done .. and my shim is a 1.65 (on the left) I believe. The service guys said to watch it after 10hrs and see where its at.

Did you go with SS valves?

the bad part now is the valve face is not flat anymore its cupped so now the seats get beat out of shape more and the more you run the bad valves the more that has to be removed from the valve seats when you have them resurfaced and the sooner you have to replace the seats too

the bad part now is the valve face is not flat anymore its cupped so now the seats get beat out of shape more and the more you run the bad valves the more that has to be removed from the valve seats when you have them resurfaced and the sooner you have to replace the seats too

its an 06, i thought they didnt have as bad of valve problems? The bike only has about 55 hrs on it

ti valves are soft so they plate them to make a hard coating & when the plating wears off the valve is done as far as the hours ? it depends on maintenance dirt will eat the plating off.... did you buy the bike new?

ti valves are soft so they plate them to make a hard coating & when the plating wears off the valve is done as far as the hours ? it depends on maintenance dirt will eat the plating off.... did you buy the bike new?

I bought it with 10 hrs... since them its been kept pretty clean, filter, oil. Im not sure he ever did an adjustment though on the bike, and I am new to 4 strokes (always owned ktm 2's) ..

Ill keep a watch on it and see what happens in 5 hrs. if it starts to get out of adjustment fast, then ill take the head in.