Sign in to follow this  

Anybody know how to remove a swing arm bolt?

Use a BFH and some PB Blaster... :bonk:

First spray until you hit eyes with the splash back from the PB and then hit your big thumb with the BFH. If done properly your thumb will look like this... :busted:

:lol:

I take the bolt out every winter as part of my spring prep and inspection. :busted:

TNT is right. It helps to get it spinning with an impact, and have someone beat the hell out of it from the other side.

Good Luck.

The first time I had to put the bike in a huge press and press it out!

on a 02 xr400

After numerous attempts and every imaginable tool put to the task including our old friend Mr Heat, I pulled out the hack saw. I made a steel wedge [ but anything wedgie thing will work, crow bar,wonder bar,pry bar] and I wedged open just enough space between the frame and engine and commenced to cutting. Both sides . Once the engine was out it was easy to free the rest of the damn thing out.

Good luck , its a sucky job .

I now grease those bolts all the time on all bikes, If I can't remember when it was done last it just gets done no matter what.

AND a BFH will not help !

Edited by crazyfast

Use a BFH and some PB Blaster... :lol:

First spray until you hit eyes with the splash back from the PB and then hit your big thumb with the BFH. If done properly your thumb will look like this... :busted:

;)

I take the bolt out every winter as part of my spring prep and inspection. :bonk:

Is BFH, a BIG F-ing HAMMER? Cause I love love that and now will use it.:busted:

Is BFH, a BIG F-ing HAMMER? Cause I love love that and now will use it.:busted:

You bet. :bonk:

It only works correctly when you swing it like a real man.... :lol:

:busted:

I had a stubborn SA bolt and used a tool I made for driving nails; it is a pneumatic muffler cutting tool from Harbor Freight, I cut off the fork and ground a slight concave on the shaft. At something like 3000 pulses per minute this thing is awesome for driving anything.

AirChisel.jpg

I learned from a machinist when doing my fork conversion the bee's wax works better than penetrating oil. He said it is a smaller molecular chain than petro based penetrators and swears by it. I bought a 5lb block and been using it ever since and think it does a great job.