250 Chain/Gearing

Well going to get a new chain and front sprocket for my Yz250. Have 14/49 gearing at the moment. I plan on going to a 13T front with a 520x114 chain matched with the existing 49T since it's still in good shape.

Is this the proper chain size for the gearing? Did some research and seemed to be the case, just would hate to have too little links.

Got onto rockymountain and noticed a chain company that I haven't seen before known as "Regina". Getting good reviews and only $5 more than a primary drive. Any ideas on this company?

Thanks

114 should be ok with 13/49 combo. Might be a bit near the back of the adjusters. I'm running 116 with a 14/51 combo, and with some slight grinding have ran that on a 15/51 combo (the steel plates that bolt to the back of the swingarm aren't slotted as far as the swingarm, taking even 1/16" off them with a die grinder can buy you a lot of extra slack).

I do agree with buying long and shortening. Takes about 30 seconds with an angle or bench grinder to take the rivet heads down and remove links.

Regina's not a bad chain at all, although it's been a few years since I've used one. I'm a Primary Drive convert, great stuff for the money. There was a thread on Thumpertalk a few years back where someone that worked at a company who's name rhymed with "bid" claimed they made the Primary Drive branded stuff.

114 should be ok with 13/49 combo. Might be a bit near the back of the adjusters. I'm running 116 with a 14/51 combo, and with some slight grinding have ran that on a 15/51 combo (the steel plates that bolt to the back of the swingarm aren't slotted as far as the swingarm, taking even 1/16" off them with a die grinder can buy you a lot of extra slack).

I do agree with buying long and shortening. Takes about 30 seconds with an angle or bench grinder to take the rivet heads down and remove links.

Regina's not a bad chain at all, although it's been a few years since I've used one. I'm a Primary Drive convert, great stuff for the money. There was a thread on Thumpertalk a few years back where someone that worked at a company who's name rhymed with "bid" claimed they made the Primary Drive branded stuff.

Honestly primary drive stuff is pretty good. I've never been too impressed with some of the other brands. At least not impressed enough to warrant the extra cost of using them.

Sweet, sounds like the plan is to go primary drive. Have heard issues with case clearance with the xdrive line, think this will be an issue if I ever go back to 14T? Also would a 520x116 be then the best choice with a chain breaker?

Thanks for the input

I run a Did narrow x-ring chain. You may have issues with the wider x-ring. 35 hours so far on mine, and haven't had to adjust once. Good chain, cool gold color, and can be had for a good price.

I always buy 120 links. You never know, and I would hate to buy to short and have to use 2 master links.

A a chain breaker is such a nice tool to have. Much easier than taking a grinder to it.