Sign in to follow this  

2007 rm 125 vs 2007 kx 250

I have recently purchased an rm 125 and my buddy has a kx 250 4 stroke he wants to drag race 300 ft which bike is faster?

He's got you beat on displacement by 100%, and his bike will make power over a wider RPM range. I would guess it'll be pretty close, but the 250 should pull on you.

Wait a second, "who drag races dirt bikes". These are race bikes, they breed competition. Granted thats now what they are designed for, BUT a 300' drag race sounds awful similar to a hole shot to me. Last time i checked they do that at the start of every MX race. These bikes also to compete in the same class, so its very plausible that he could come across this situation in a race.

IF you guys can honestly say you've NEVER EVER drag raced someone on another bike to see whos bikes faster or whos skill set is better, well maybe you outta try it, its called having fun.

The whole "Hey, lets be BA and race down a straight road to see which bike will go faster" thing is pretty stupid. I mean, drag racing bikes that are BUILT to drag race is a different story, but why do it with dirtbikes? How about you guys have a 5 lap race around your local track, and record that? It's a much better measure of skill.

I agree, it does replicate coming out of a gate and going for the holeshot so go for it!!! As far as who will win, that's easy...THE BETTER RIDER!!! :busted:

Wait a second, "who drag races dirt bikes". These are race bikes, they breed competition. Granted thats now what they are designed for, BUT a 300' drag race sounds awful similar to a hole shot to me. Last time i checked they do that at the start of every MX race. These bikes also to compete in the same class, so its very plausible that he could come across this situation in a race.

IF you guys can honestly say you've NEVER EVER drag raced someone on another bike to see whos bikes faster or whos skill set is better, well maybe you outta try it, its called having fun.

This.

The start of every race is a drag race to the first turn...So what's the problem people have with this?

All things being equal the 250 will hole shot it pretty hard, if not then it's anyone's guess.

Assuming both bikes are running strong. The one who wins will be the one who doesn't let off the gas.

I have recently purchased an rm 125 and my buddy has a kx 250 4 stroke he wants to drag race 300 ft which bike is faster?

The one ridden by the guy that actually knows how to do starts properly. Most people don't.

Of course if one of you weighs 140 pounds and the other weighs 240 pounds it ain't gonna matter...:busted:

You keep comparing a drag race to a race start.

No comparison.

A drag race ends just about when it starts.

A faster bike can be made to do just that one thing, but be useless for actual riding.

Hell, just dropping your rear tire's air pressure down to 3 psi and dropping your forks 1" in the clamps will give you a huge advantage.

But can you race or ride the bike that way?

No you can't.

I have NEVER drag raced my buddies to see which bike is faster.

I have raced my buddies around a track, and off a starting gate, to see WHO is faster.....

The faster rider always wins, unless the bikes are wholly mis-matched.

It all about 'riding around' or 'riding through'.

If you just 'ride around', this drag race thing might appeal to you.

But if you 'ride though' (riding for distance, laps, personal improvement), it is very boring.

You keep comparing a drag race to a race start.

No comparison.

A drag race ends just about when it starts.

A faster bike can be made to do just that one thing, but be useless for actual riding.

Hell, just dropping your rear tire's air pressure down to 3 psi and dropping your forks 1" in the clamps will give you a huge advantage.

But can you race or ride the bike that way?

No you can't.

I have NEVER drag raced my buddies to see which bike is faster.

I have raced my buddies around a track, and off a starting gate, to see WHO is faster.....

The faster rider always wins, unless the bikes are wholly mis-matched.

It all about 'riding around' or 'riding through'.

If you just 'ride around', this drag race thing might appeal to you.

But if you 'ride though' (riding for distance, laps, personal improvement), it is very boring.

Theres no denying that the start of every MX race is a drag race. Your argument is a approaching a fallacy. There was no mention of tire pressure modifications, and fork height adjustments...

I carefully said "to see "whos bikes faster" (in his case) or whos skill set is better (the reality of almost every case)."

I'm also not saying its normal or sensible to do drag races, but as a guy who has logged 1000s of riding hours, (including MX races, Offroad races, practice and play riding) its happened a time or two. I think we are all smart enough to realize that just because someones bike is more or less powerful, it means virtually nothing on the track, or on a race course.