Sign in to follow this  

Input Shaft Bearing Oddity

This is the bearing that failed in my 2009 DR650. It seems to be made by HIC, which I suspect to be a Chinese manufacturer, though I can't find very much about them. The odd thing is, that it's identicle in size and shape to a KOYO bearing on the same case, with the exception of the pin shown in the picture after the link. The HIC bearing is also 14 grams lighter than the KOYO bearing, which I think isn't only due to material loss from excessive wear. What I'm wondering is:

Why is this pin pressed into the outer race? Without it, does the bearing turn in the case due to stresses caused by the clutch?

And, did Suzuki choose a cheap bearing to install the pin because drilling into the heavier KOYO bearing race wasn't practical?

photo.php?fbid=195874503824104&set=a.130521967026025.31721.100002046665206&type=1&theater

It had been my experience with bearings that multiple manufacturers will make bearings that would fit shared applications.

Bearings are spec'd in inside diameter, outside diameter, width, seal and RPM rating. It's very possible that they used multiple OEM suppliers.