Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone make fold away mirrors that don't vibrate like all hell?

I purchased a DoubleTake mirror and while the functionality of it is very cool, the fact that it vibrates way more than the stock mirrors to the point of total blurriness does not thrill me one bit.

I think vibration issues is more of a problem with the bar mounts than the mirrors themselves. I think ROX makes anti-vibration mounts. I have Aprilia SXV mirrors on my frame, and I really like them. I saw a pic of a husky with Ducati hypermotard handguard/flasher/fold away mirrors...really liked it.

You can kind of see the mirrors in this pic

IMAG0637.jpg

Duc Hypermotard mirrors from SMJ member...really nice. Mirrrors fold in flush with handguard.

IMG_8872.jpg

IMG_8875.jpg

I put the doible take mirrors on mine a couple of weeks ago. At first I had so much vibration I was regretting the purchase, but after I played around with them I got them so there is minimal vibration. Try different angles on the clamp and mirror. Also the harder you crank down on the clamp screw the worse the vibration is.

My clamps angle out about 15 degrees from straight up and the mirrors angle about 50 to 60 degrees towards the outside. If you try to line up the clamps and mirrors straight it will vibrate like crazy.

They will never be like the stock mirrors because the stock mirrors have a vibration dampening weight inside of them.

I saw a pic of a husky with Ducati hypermotard handguard/flasher/fold away mirrors...really liked it.

IMG_8872.jpg

IMG_8875.jpg

I tried to figure out how to buy these from Ducati. The only way I saw possible was to buy each piece, which really adds up.

I don't think that there is such a thing as zero vibration mirrors. It is a matter of degrees.

I have had a good run with the 280mm KTM folding mirrors (the round ones) found here:

http://www.moto-science.com/products/ktm-folding-mirrors

They're available as a clamp mount and as a perch mount.

Do all of those fit the DRZ or just some?

Or do only the ones in the Suzuki section match perfectly?

Those KTM ones dont vibrate much at all?

I don't know. I use clamp mounts. What is the thread size and pitch on the Suzuki perches? If armed with that much info you should be able to find a match. I believe that the KTM mirrors are available in a couple of different thread sizes.

Cheers

So there isnt one brand that is best known for actually being able to see whats behind you clearly instead of just blurry lines of light?

The mirrors only reflect the vibration from the handlebars.....have you filled your bars with lead shot ?

How are the mirrors supposed to absorb and disperse engine vibration ?  

Choose the shortest stalk mirror for the smallest amplitude of vibration.

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

SAM_0350.jpg

SAM_0351.jpg

I installed Double-Take and used the original mirror locations (on the clutch and brakes levers);

I get virtually no vibration at all. I am using the longer clamps - nit sure if that makes a difference

Gerry

With the double take mirrors it is all about finding the right angles and the proper amount of tension on the clamp. Once you get it right it doesn't vibrate much. Nothing will be a smooth as the stock mirrors. They have a peice of metal glued to a piece of foam for vibration damping.