Sign in to follow this  

What tires come on 2012?

As posted, what tires come on the new bikes.

Im assuming they are still running that shitty OEM mass produced D742f in the front? What about the rear tire? Old 756s or did they finally run out of those?

Bridgestone M403/404 combo, I have about 17.5 hours on mine already and they are holding up OK. Going to replace them soon and switch out the rear for a 110 instead of the stock 120, supposed to turn and fall into ruts a bit better with the 110.

oh wow i didnt expect that! Thats good. I run the skinnier tires front and back of my 2007. I just recently tried a 120 again. I duno how much difference it makes. It turns better with the skinnier tire but has less hook up coming out of turns.

It turns better with the skinnier tire but has less hook up coming out of turns.
I think you once said you liked D956 for the durability. I have a Mich M12 XC rear (equiv to a 110 size), ready to go on to replace a worn MC4. It'll be interesting to test it. The rubber and knob bases look real tough. The knobs are spaced out with a kind of paddle like pattern. Kinda like a medium dirt tire that would also bite real well in sand. A strange combo but might suit me. The tread pattern looks good for people who roll on the power early out of turns. But people who rear brake a lot maybe wouldn't like it. I can ride again in about 10 days, and I'll let you know how it goes.

I was excited to try the Bridgestones when I got my '12. As long as the track is medium to medium hard, they are very good. When the loam starts to build and/or the track leans torwards the soft side the front falls off very fast. The rear less so but the front can disappear from underneath you in the blink of an eye. I ride in S. florida where there is a lot of sand so tomorrow is the last ride for these tires and I am switching back to my beloved Pirelli MXMS (mid soft) tires. Definitely not a hater for the 403/404's just not good for softer conditions. I would imagine out in the west coast they would be excellent tires.

oh yeah 110 all the way. I have never noticed any hookup issues with 110 tires but the way the bike leans over in the turns and stays there is night and day

I think you once said you liked D956 for the durability. I have a Mich M12 XC rear (equiv to a 110 size), ready to go on to replace a worn MC4. It'll be interesting to test it. The rubber and knob bases look real tough. The knobs are spaced out with a kind of paddle like pattern. Kinda like a medium dirt tire that would also bite real well in sand. A strange combo but might suit me. The tread pattern looks good for people who roll on the power early out of turns. But people who rear brake a lot maybe wouldn't like it. I can ride again in about 10 days, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Its the 952 that I often run for its durability, and its overall capability. It works ok at the tracks i ride at (some hard, some soft) and also if we are on a trail ride, I can easily come across EVERYTHING, i mean Grass, dirt, rocks, mud, creek crossings, slate dumps, roads, dirt roads all in one ride.

I like running the 110, (i have a 120 on right now though) and honestly once ive ran the 110 for a while i have been able to now get the 120 to lean nicely just from being used to doing it on the 110. Please let me know how that tire works out, its one i have never tried, but have been interested in since they started the the XC versions.

I would go back to a 110 anyday if i can get something that lets you roll on the power a little harder.

Sorry I was thinking D952. Yeah sure I'll let you know what I think of the M12 XC. In about 10 or 12 days I can have my next ride and I'll put the new rubber on.

thanks that will be perfect I'm in the market for a new rear but im headin out of town for two weeks so i wont be buying a new one till i get back. Maybe if you like it, ill try one out.

You ever run that tire?
Yeah I did. The Mich M12 XC rear. Just packed the bike away and washed up! I think the Michelin size is a 130, but it looks like a regular brand size 110, or perhaps a little narrower.

I've been off from riding injured for a couple of months. Shoulder still not good, and I'm suffering after the ride, but no regrets.

I rode with it on a real wet, muddy, bumpy and rutted grass track. Probably not what you care to get a review on, but it was actually really good. I also rode for the first time with a 9oz flywheel weight which certainly helped traction, plus the tire was new and sharp, but the tire was for sure holding the ground ok. I was a bit worried because I've read a few comments on TT by people who said the M12 rear was a dud.

Like I guessed last time I wrote here, it was good when ever on the power in soft sandy (and wet) dirt. Today in a straight line and out of turns the thing was digging the grass and sandy wet soil like a demon. Just dont let off the throttle and it held. Used that way it was as good as a new MC4 but surely it'll be more durable. Under brakes I cannot say much because I was doing my braking early, and never used a lot of rear brake with much chassis lean into turns for fear of going way off the track.

Zero rocks for me today, so the tire obviously still looked new. But it just has to be tough. I'm keen to try it in real loam and also on medium-hard, but unfortunately work travel means me not riding for me for another 4 weeks.

If you want an all rounder there is no way that after just today, I can say how it'd match up to the D952 that you normally use or the Pirelli MX eXtra which I rate as a good tire.

Well I have the misfortune of the winter weather kicking in so I have several months of down time approaching so I won't be doing a new tire for a while.

I was riding in the mud yesterday and I was really starting get frustrated with the lack of traction coming out of turns with the 952. It's a little worn so that was part of it, but I was riding with other guys who had worn tired of other styles and they weren't having the same issue I was having. unless the turns were bermed I was fish tailing like crazy.

And my buddy runs Michelin s 12 in a 130 size and I thought he was crazy, but I looked harder yesterday and it really doesn't look very wide.

I forgot about your winter. That makes my injury or work time off seem much better. :lol: We are lucky with temps between 60 and 90F all year, and mostly around 75.

To me, a 130 mich looks narrower than a Dunlop 110.

For winter slop and seeking a durable 450 rear tire when it is dryer or rocky, the M12 XC could be a good option. Anyway by the time you're riding again, I'll have ridden on that thing a lot and have a much better idea. Southern Australia is having another wet summer so conditions will be real varied - which is great.

Like I think I wrote earlier, it's a chunky paddle type of tread. If the knobs were worn and rounded I think it would still bite OK. But that is TBC! Yesterday, stay on the gas and keep it driving out of turns and it held great - better than my 3/4 worn MC4 would have.

Just looking at it. With the wide knob paddle spacing, it has to work OK in sand.

Since we are already way off the OP's topic ... I also had the Mich S12 XC on the front. When you ride over mixed ground with lots of wet/soft then dry, this front is simply awesome.

I was the OP so I dont think he will mind! heh

I needed a new front in a hurry a couple rides ago and my buddy (hes a parts manager at a local dealer) gave me a real good deal on a dunlop MX51.

I have heard a LOT of mixed reviews on this tire, and I was worred it wouldnt be able to handle the mud that I am dealing with right now in autumn, but its done the job well. Much better than the Pirelli Mid/Soft that it replaced. But I havent really been able to truely test the MX 51 in the front because the rear keeps stepping out on me.

A typical riding day here would be like 50% dry, 25% moist woods riding (think wet leaves at the moment), and like 25% deep, slippery, soupy muck.

When I had the pirelli on there, it was DANGEROUS i mean when coupled with the 952 in the rear it was washing the front out often, that pirelli was no better than those crappy d742f's that came stock on my bike and i believe yours too. So then I got the geomax mx51 on there and instantly it went from the front washing to the back just sliding everywhere. The d952 has good tread depth, but the edges could be a little better. Like i said i was worried about how the mx51 would handle the mud, but since i ride on a good bit of dry hard pack i was worried about goign with a full-on mud tire.

Its tough one to manage because a lot of the trails we ride are connected by gravel roads or fire roads or power lines and they are all dry with a few rocks, and of course everyones going as fast as they can no matter which section were in, thats what i gotta contend with.

The MX-51 seems to be fine with the wear too. Ive would say i got 5-6 honest hours on the thing, all mixed terrain and all riding as hard as i can, and it still looks new. Even has a couple miles of asphalt travel on it.

My buddy runs the s-12 (standard one) in the front and back and he seems to like it for the stuff we do, and he seems to do just fine.

Oh and then theres the MX tracks we ride on. I got one thats nice and groomed loam and another thats really hard pack, the kind you dont want to take a new tire on because it will be rounded after an hour or so of practice.. Its not our favorite place but sometimes its the only one open on the days we can ride..

The Pirelli MS can work well in soupy or slick mud. I think you have to consider when a tire is working well in the soft just because it's new and has all it's knobs with sharp edges.

Sounds like you have the same amount of terrain variety as I do. Tough to expect one tire to do it all. But you'd grip well in most conditions with a S12 XC front and a MX eXtra rear.

Hard pack is just too different. I have a spare set of wheels with my hard pack tires fitted. Pirelli MH on the front handles some loose stuff over the hard, and Bridgestone M604 rear.

I find that the pirellies are all chunking and knobs tearing after 1 or 2 rides. Literally the M/S rear had knobs tearing after 2 hours. The front lasted a little longer but it too started tearing knobs. I can understand a tire tearing knobs in the back when mounted to a 450 but for the front to do that is just unnacceptable to me.

Pretty much everyone else I talked to thats ran a variety of pirellis has had the same problem...

I liked the Dunlop MX51 rear when new, but as soon as it rounded off a little it went to crap. Overall, the 403/404 combo works the best for the MX tracks I ride on.

My buddy just put on a 404 and he likes it. I kinda like the tread pattern.

The d952 that I have been running behaves as u describe the mx51. Its great for the first ride, but after that it starts washing out the rear very easily under power. I mean the tire lasts FOREVER with just slightly rounded edges, but im at the point where i would rather have a tire that works better even if i have to change it more often.

I am kinda attributing the washing out and fishtailing in turns to the paddle style tire, which the d952 and even more so the m12xc are shaped like. I dont know what to think. Would the paddle shape lead to more sliding at the exit of a turn under power? (not bermed turns, but flat, slick ones) Or would the paddle shape get more DIG regardless of the fact its a straight line or turn?

Sounds like you often need new sharp tires. :lol:

I've not used the D952 and I've only had that one ride on the M12XC. I think you should just try the M12XC. Cheap at various online shops.

There's more to grip on exits under power than the tread pattern. I think that the different suspension and chassis means that the same tire can feel very different on different bikes. You just have to try more tires. Don't read too much into other people's opinion of a tire. Me included.

FYI: The D962 and M12XC have very different looking tread patterns. The M12 shoulder knobs are angled, so the tire has more edge under power out of turns. Like a sand knobby tire.