xt350 run without arrestor problem?

i have a bone stock 92 xt350, i have been invited to do some enduro riding in miles of pinelands, i removed my spark arrestor and it sounds pretty good, will it cause problems with lowering the backpressure to the top end? thanks for the help as i am hoping to do some very low budget upgrades to it over the winter thanks for the help! mark

Hmmm . Pine lands and no spark arrestor . Does that sound like a good recipe for a forest fire to anyone else ?

Sorry , but I don't think I'd want to risk even the possibility just to hear a different sound .

Obviously , the bike has run good . Would you really want to start messing with it just before a 'trip' ? Reliability is worth a whole lot more than adding a different sound .

wow, great point!:busted: i never thought of that, last thing i want to do is cause a fire in the pines! ( duh, spark ARRESTOR ) the guys i am going with all have nice built up bikes and i wanted to make mine a little more "throatier" but it is definately not worth the risk! thanks for pointing that out! i cant afford to get a nice supertrapp or anything being the economy sucks and i dont want to risk screwing up the bike, as i use it as a frequent daily driver.

thanks again for relpy and pointing that out!!

any pointers for tweeking the bike on a very low budget?

mark

any pointers for tweeking the bike on a very low budget?

Put your effort into making sure it's 100% sound.

You're on a Yamaha XT-350, a very sound and well-designed dual-purpose bike, not a Yamaha WR-450F or the like.

I'd try to have a fun ride, not set the world on fire with 50 foot roostertails off the rear tire. :busted:

Service the air filter.

Change the engine oil and oil filter.

Lube the chain.

Check tire pressure, and new tires if they're worn.

Lube the clutch cable.

Check the spoke tension.

Bleed the front brakes, and check the front pads and the rear brake shoes.

Give the bike a close inspection front to rear.

Check steering head bearing tension and swingarm pivot for any free play.

Listen for any squeaky and creaky noises when you sit on the bike and address them, if any.

FWIW, Removing the spark arrestor will cause the bike to run dangerously lean without jetting changes. Besides, stealth is cool.

Do the stuff YXEtc posted, you can also adjust the pilot screw to help the bike start easier. You will have to drill out the little brass cap that covers it first though. Do a search on it. lots of past threads on XT350 jetting.