Sign in to follow this  

wiring schematic: spark plug tracing

So the morons at the honda dealership are holding my bike hostage because they can't get spark from the spark plug and are waiting on a wiring schematic the ship so that they can trace the wires the problem is the wiring schematic gonna take 2 weeks to get here does anybody have a wiring schematic I can give these retards so I can get my bike back thanks. They arent going to touch it until they have a schematic.b

I did a search of this forum using "schematic" and it turned up this thread. There are schematics on the last post. I'm sure if you repeat the search you can find other threads with schematics in them.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=977672&highlight=schematic

my bad.... guess i could have tried that....was on my phone though and that browser isn't friendly. Thanks for finding that. Running it down to them as we speak.

Tell us what model and year DRZ400 they are dealing with and maybe we can help. If any mods have been made to the motorcycle, the schematic may not help. Assuming S or SM, verify the green wire in the larger CDI connector is grounded. In gear with side stand down, the interlock system kills the sparks. Side stand up, the side stand switch completes the ground connection so the motor will continue to run in gear. Side stand down and in neutral, the neutral switch completes the ground connection.

Tell us what model and year DRZ400 they are dealing with and maybe we can help. If any mods have been made to the motorcycle, the schematic may not help. Assuming S or SM, verify the green wire in the larger CDI connector is grounded. In gear with side stand down, the interlock system kills the sparks. Side stand up, the side stand switch completes the ground connection so the motor will continue to run in gear. Side stand down and in neutral, the neutral switch completes the ground connection.

I printed the above schematics out for E and S models, and compared it to some other ones I found.They all appear to be the same wiring for the spark plug. The kickstand switch has been defeated and wired together, and the R/R has been direct wired to the battery, other than that, should be standard.

Bike is a 2004 drz 400 S

I gave the schematics to the dealership, hopefully they can pull their heads out of you know where far enough to read it and do their job right.....

An 04 S is a slightly different schematic. Just that the schematic you have turns out the headlight when you push the start button. And your year S does not do that.

An 04 S is a slightly different schematic. Just that the schematic you have turns out the headlight when you push the start button. And your year S does not do that.

As long as the two wires leading to the spark plug are the same. Figure the headlight out later if they manage to F that up in the process. I have no truck to haul it. Once it is under its own power again, then I'll fret over the rest. Seriously. In the two weeks they were planning on waiting for a schematic, i mean you could probably rewire the whole bike in a day. two weeks? thats just jerking me around. I'm going down at noon tomorrow and I'm not leaving till I get my bike in running condition, unless the ECM module is dead or something..... was working when they received it.

Coil only has two wires, a black with white stripe that is a ground, obvious because it has a ring connector to go under a coil mounting screw and a white wire that has a single female spade connector to go on the coil. It cannot be much more simple.

What did they do, change, add, swap, repair between running and no power to the coil? and They KNOW the coil has no power? or thats a trouble shooting step yet to be done..?

Remember the bike that seized up and left someone stranded in missoula montana? Same bike. Same issue. They just finished rebuilding it, and wont get me a list of everything changed, and after they put it all back together, no spark. Thats all they told me.

Either:

Crank position sensor (little black box next to the stator) is in wrong

Or

Aftermarket stator wires from the sensor are reversed in the plug (OEM wiring diagram will not help them)

Anyhthing more than this and they really messed up.

the pulser/pick up coil can be installed upside and backward.

That and the wires not placed under the metal guard, pinched by the guard.. The first gets you a few minutes of running till wires rubbed though the second gets you a dead short and no spark.

So Items to check.. What William stated above, Eddie stated above and what I stated here.. Likely culprits assuming it is not something unrelated to work down.. run switch in Off position, wiring harness rubbed though where it passes the steering head tube.,, ect ect

the pulser/pick up coil can be installed upside and backward.

This was the problem. Eddie, how do you bloody do it man?

Got the bike back today, I'm satified with it, but not their service, which I was hoping that dealership would have one saving grace but no. Riding around for the breakin with snow in the ditches is a truly odd expierience.