Sign in to follow this  

collarbone question....

So I had to get my clavicle plated after a stupid crash and I plan to start riding again once Im cleared but I was curious about whether or not I should have the plate taken out next year or if I should just leave it in...

Are there any benefits to taking it out other than cosmetic or is it riskier to leave it in if I have another crash?

Has anyone had their plate taken out and ended up wishing they hadn't?

After reading the other 1983274 threads on this exact topic in this forum, I concluded that if it bothers you, get it taken out, especially if you are young and will have to live with it for a long time. If it doesn't, don't worry about it.

I'm slender, so mine is pretty close to the skin, and a little sensitive, but it doesn't bother me enough to have another surgery yet.

+1 to everything llamaface said. Unless it is bothering you, there is no reason to have it taken out. Especially since it is another surgery that is going to cause stress to the bones by removing the screws, and you will likely have the entire surgical area go numb again for a while.

I'm at 6 months with my plate in and it's actually nice that a good portion of feeling has returned to my shoulder and I wouldn't want the chance of damaging the nerves again unless it was required.

I just had mine done 4 weeks ago and it kind of bothers me closer to the inside (neck) area, maybe that will go away but then I worry about if I crash again, which I will, what are the risks on landing on that shoulder again with the plate in there?

ya I figured about taking it out if it bugged but Im more worried about if I have it in when I crash... is a small crash on my shoulder going to send me to the hospital again if I leave it in?

I have had my plate in for 9 years and not once has it bothered me.

My doctor told me what everyone else is saying too, unless it bothers you, might as well leave it in!

Most riders I know have left it on, me personlly, I do not know anyone that has had the removed.

All the best,

Jason