Sign in to follow this  

18 vs 19

Today I ordered a set of new rims and also a set of sprockets for my 06 450X. The guy on the phone must of thought I said R instead of X and he shipped me a 19" rear rim and tire and also gearing for an R which is 13/48. My question is should I return the 19" rim for the stock 18" or just leave, will I notice a differeence. If I leave is the sprocket setup should I also run the 13/48 as well.

Today I ordered a set of new rims and also a set of sprockets for my 06 450X. The guy on the phone must of thought I said R instead of X and he shipped me a 19" rear rim and tire and also gearing for an R which is 13/48. My question is should I return the 19" rim for the stock 18" or just leave, will I notice a differeence. If I leave is the sprocket setup should I also run the 13/48 as well.

Unless you ride nothing but groomed tracks, you will want the 18" wheel.

So you are saying that the 19 has a noticably rougher ride thatn the 18?

I'd be more worried about pinch flats or rim damage than comfort also nothing wrong with 13/48 combo it's wot i run plus u can easy run a 14 tooth without changing the chain if you need a bif more top end

Ok I called Motosports back and they said the only difference is rim size, they are both 110/90/18 and 110/90/19. Guy at Motosports was saying thats all they run is the 19 for the trails, so I asked him why they put the 18 on the trail bikes then. He really didn't have an answer

Ok I called Motosports back and they said the only difference is rim size, they are both 110/90/18 and 110/90/19. Guy at Motosports was saying thats all they run is the 19 for the trails, so I asked him why they put the 18 on the trail bikes then. He really didn't have an answer

The overall diameter is very close, with the 18" you have alot larger sidewall. This will reduce pinch flats, be a tad bit more comfortable, but gives your wheel alot better protection from rocks, logs, etc. Go with a 18". The guy that you called sounds like a jackass.

If it was me I would send it back.

Why do you think the best trail bikes have a 18 inch and the best MX have a 19.

Just askin.

So... I hear what you're saying but I don't understand the theory behind 18 vs 19"'wheels.

Why does a 1" diameter difference reduce pinch flats?.... And can it make that big of a difference?

And if i was putting a paddle wheel set together... Is there a preferred set up?

Trials tires only come in 18". At least the ones with true sidewalls. You may not want a trials tire but whomever buys your bike might. It could turn them away really. It's about $250 to buy an 18" rim, spokes, and new tire. Send it back and make them pay.

MotoSport sounds like a douche. I refuse to place orders through a human due to "mistakes" like this. :busted:

Not a big fan of Motosport, in fact, we have a little thread going over on norcalmotocross on the same subject.

I though I heard that there was one good trials tire for a 19" rim, no?

Not a big fan of Motosport, in fact, we have a little thread going over on norcalmotocross on the same subject.

I though I heard that there was one good trials tire for a 19" rim, no?

Shinko, less sidewall, nothing like a 18" water-ballon like ability that makes the trials tire work so well.

So... I hear what you're saying but I don't understand the theory behind 18 vs 19"'wheels.

Why does a 1" diameter difference reduce pinch flats?.... And can it make that big of a difference?

And if i was putting a paddle wheel set together... Is there a preferred set up?

Same tire height between the 18 and 19" means the 18" has more/taller sidewall to absorb impact, and, have more flex in cornering.

Look at a 19'' and an 18'' tire. The difference in sidewall is pretty obvious. More cushin between the trail and your rim.

A trials tire in 19'' size? Wonder if it works as well?

I've been running a 19" on my 500 for two seasons and honestly cannot see a reason to go back to the 18" . Whoever said you have more choices in tires is wrong , the 19 is a far more popular tire and is what comes standard on most MX bikes . If you do your own tire changes it is certainly easier to change a 18 . The 19 does have a smaller sidewall but if you run the bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes you WONT get pinch flats . Also maintain proper tire pressure , not only will you see a difference in traction but control as well . Pinch flats are common for front tires , cant remember ever having one on a rear . Really it comes down to your riding style, you might be happier with what you are used to , but who knows that 19 might be what you were looking for ????? .

I've been running a 19" on my 500 for two seasons and honestly cannot see a reason to go back to the 18" . Whoever said you have more choices in tires is wrong , the 19 is a far more popular tire and is what comes standard on most MX bikes. BUT NOT FOR CHEAP TIRES. . If you do your own tire changes it is certainly easier to change a 18 TIRE SIZE HAS NO INFLUENCE, ONLY SIDEWALL THICKNESS. A MICHELIN MH3 18" IS MUCH HARDER TO CHANGE THAN A MX51 19" . The 19 does have a smaller sidewall but if you run the bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes you WONT get pinch flats PINCH FLATS HAPPEN NO MATTER WHAT YOU RUN . Also maintain proper tire pressure , not only will you see a difference in traction but control as well . Pinch flats are common for front tires , cant remember ever having one on a rear THEY HAPPEN . Really it comes down to your riding style, you might be happier with what you are used to , but who knows that 19 might be what you were looking for ????? .

:busted: