Sign in to follow this  

Junk Stock Tires!

What came "stock" on your bike? I have the 2010 FE450. The bike came new with stock Bridgestone 204 rear tire. After just a few rides the tire was chunked, cut and all beat to hell!:busted: This is without a doubt a "soft" motocross tire. Don't know why they would come stock with those on a off-road bike.

I am riding a mix of terrain from hard pack, loam, rocky, roots and some sand.

Time for replacement. Usually I run MAXXIS IT tires and have had good experiences with them in the past but I am thinking about trying out the Michelin AC10. What tires are you guys running, what works for you and what would you stay clear of?:busted:

The stock tires that came on my '10 FE 450 were indeed quite junky! My rear was gone quick too. The front lasted a bit longer, but it flatted a couple of times in the rocks despite running 14 psi. Wimpy soft tire.

I run the Maxxis IT Cross on the back, it is lasting a lot better than the stock Dunlop tire. I like the Maxxis as they are pretty reasonable in price. To be honest, I am not that picky about rear tires on this bike. It is so hooked up. The fronts are more important to me.

I am currently running a Dunlop Geomax MX71 (hard terrain) front tire and love it lots. It is way stouter than the stocker. Not one flat yet and it held up a lot better in the all too common rocks here in the Rocky Mountains over the last few rides. Traction is very good too :busted:

One item of note - the Geomax front comes in an 80 and taller 90 series. Some complain that the 90 screws up the 70 Degree 'Berg's awesome steering. I did note it was a bit slower and more prone to climbing out of single track on me, but a couple of clicks stiffer on the forks rebound and pulling up the tubes just a bit cleaned it up fine for my taste. I like the extra sidewall on the 90 tire when bashing in the rocks.

Have not tried the Geomax rear yet, but I may. 1 more Maxxis rear to go -always buy in them on sale and in sets of 2, free shipping that way!

My 09 came with metzler 6days extreme 140 on yhe rear and metzler on the front, bit soft but finds all kinds of grip and is dot and fim approved, anyone else have an opinion on these ?

Cheers

My 09 came with metzler 6days extreme 140 on yhe rear and metzler on the front, bit soft but finds all kinds of grip and is dot and fim approved, anyone else have an opinion on these ?

Cheers

In Europe the Husas come with the same tires. Every kind of riding, needs differents kinds of tires. If you ride over tracks, at high speed, with sand and dry rocks, you need a hard tire. There are a lot of them, for example Michelin AC10. Bu if you ride tecnical places, for example, wet stones, grass, sand, mud or roots, then you need a tecnical tire, which are softer, for example, FIM homologated tires.

About Metzeler 6 Days, which is an FIM tire, is a soft tire, very tecnical tire. It has grip in worst conditions, but the durability is low. I like Metzeler and other FIM tires, but they are more expensive. I tried once the Michelin AC10, and i hate it, because is very hard and it doesn't grip in grass, or in wet stones. Of course is a very good tire in durability.

Now i ride Michelin Cross Competicion XC, and for me, it has a good compromise between durability and enduro grip.

Greetings!!! :busted:

09s here come with the metz 6day,there like butter.i try use mitas co2 on the rear,not v good on hard stuff,they trench like a jcb on the soft stuff & last ages