need more top speed, but easily

heres what i would like.

at the moment i have the stock sprockets, 15/41? i think it is, the SM model.

im the only one of my friends who has a drz, the others have cruisers, when we do road trips they obviously go a lot faster then i can. for the most part, long road trips in my area involve a lot of hwy riding... i know..boring!

i do however like the gearing i have for buzzing around town.

so what i would like is the ability to change the sprocket easily for the road trips before we go, then change it back to my old one for around town.

ideally i would like to be able to go 80-95 mph comfortably. at the moment ive topped out at 80mph, but the engine is basically red lined. i would like some extra headroom if possible.

if i switched to a 16t up front would this do it for me? also is it an easy change out, ive never looked under the cover there, but id assume its easier then having to take the rear wheel off.

if this wont work and i have to take the rear wheel off, it is what it is. then what size would i want in the back, or should do both front and back? i guess i should mention, ive jetted, 3x3 and yosh exhaust.

on a side note, why dont they put 6 speeds in these things?

Do some performance mods to support taller gearing...say .. maybe this great value package from Eddie...https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10716831#post10716831...

This will give you more torque for your round town stuff, so leaving it geared tall may work for you...

Yes as we all know a 6 speed would be nice, .

85-90 mph, you've got the wrong bike to ride at those speeds!!!! It will never be comfortable. No need to be cruising a steady 85-90 mph anyway. Every now and then sure who doesn't, but not the smart thing to be doing.

Cruising at those speeds, no wonder you don't want to spend much money as you'll need the money for tickets and higher insurance.

heres what i would like.

ideally i would like to be able to go 80-95 mph comfortably. at the moment ive topped out at 80mph, but the engine is basically red lined. i would like some extra headroom if possible.

on a side note, why dont they put 6 speeds in these things?

85mph is another bikes territory. This is exactly why those other bikes have 6 speeds. Maybe get a cruiser or sport tourer and enjoy both ?

shouldn't have said comfortably, i know it wont be comfortable on this bike.. what i meant was not red lined. also i wont be going these speeds the entire time, i would just like the option to be able to. some of these highways are single lane with short, occasional passing lanes, sometimes you need the speed to get by in time.

second, i wasnt looking for a lecture. just an answer.

shouldn't have said comfortably, i know it wont be comfortable on this bike.. what i meant was not red lined. also i wont be going these speeds the entire time, i would just like the option to be able to. some of these highways are single lane with short, occasional passing lanes, sometimes you need the speed to get by in time.

second, i wasnt looking for a lecture. just an answer.

Here, let's put the chip down for a second and talk bikes.. :busted:

When you originally stated 80-95, with comfort, folks tried to steer you away from it. They weren't being jerks about it, just pointing out the bikes niche.

If you really want to cruise, at 80 mph, you might want to consider the dirt wheel setup (pricey) and a distanzia type of tire. It will lend more circumference, lower rpms.

The drz is so much better at bursts of speed and offroad than cruising, it just makes sense to say try another bike. You're essentially making another bike out of it with these requirements.

The faq section has all the loctite fixes you should have done , to ensure the engine doesn't assplode or strand you. Its cheap, easy and fairly quick.

Also, swapping front gears frequently may wear out things if you don't loctite, and if you do loctite, it will be a pita to swap... catch22

Check the faq out, its great stuff. :busted:

draelas,

YOu said your drz topped out at 80 MPH,are you a big guy? I have a 38 tooth rear sprocket (equal to a 16 t front) calmed down the highway rpm a good amount,but im modded to the tune of about 45 hp,so I can pull the taller gearing.But 80 mph top speed is low.I weigh 205 lbs,my bike stock would pull 102-103 mph indicated..

draelas,

YOu said your drz topped out at 80 MPH,are you a big guy? I have a 38 tooth rear sprocket (equal to a 16 t front) calmed down the highway rpm a good amount,but im modded to the tune of about 45 hp,so I can pull the taller gearing.But 80 mph top speed is low.I weigh 205 lbs,my bike stock would pull 102-103 mph indicated..

I was thinking the same. My S with SM wheels has 15 front and 42 rear. I also have the 3x3, jetted, and Yosh exhaust. My bike will cruise no problem at 115 to 120 km/hr, roughly 75 mph, with plenty left. The bike now has 21,000 km, and still running well. :busted:

Sorry to burst your bubble. The DRZ will never fill that mission. Especially stock. If you raise the gearing much more the bike will start slowing down. You should be able to go up one front or down 3 rear. That's about it. Even then I can't see a stock bike pulling it.

With that gear 75 mph (actual not indicated) is about 7k rpm give or take. You will have rpm left. It power will drop off seriously at 80.

i put a 16t up front only took a razor blade and a file i did this at the same time as the 3x3 and re jet and did not notice much of a change in power just makes it so you can run the gears out a little longer. i think if you change the rear sprocket you may also have to shorten the chain just seemed like a lot more work to me. put the 16t up front try it around town you may like it more than the 15t i know that i did. wheeling cycle supply has 16t made by driven have had no prblems with it since i put it on about 2500 miles ago.

also what is the loctite fix?

There are several. The two that are articles have multiple pages. All these and more regarding other parts of the DRZ are found on the DRZ FAQ subforum here. Great info here if you haven't seen it yet. https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397

Counter shaft https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=625998

Primary nut https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324503&parentpage=2

Primary nut and counter balance nut https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=952540"

Stator and starter clutch https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634403

Edited by npm

You have the wrong bike my friend, the wrong bike for your type of application.

I have to agree. I've done quite a few mods to my bike, runs like a raped ape, but... it's still not something I'd want to spend alot of time on over 80 mph. To each his own.

I understand where this poster is trying to go. I run my bike on the street (2002 DRZ 400S with Excel 17 inch wheels, 15/38 gearing, an accurate Vapor speedo) and cruise between 70 and 80, with jumps to 90-95 MPH at times. The engine turns around 7500 RPM in cruise, and never exceeds 9500 RPM in 5th gear when beating on it. Top end is stock, mods are FCR and MCCT.

My DRZ is fine with all of this, my one way trip into work is 65 miles and I did this all summer long without issues.

To answer the question, raise the gearing. The 15/38 works great on the street, I have not tried the 16 tooth CS. I would do the loctite fixes as well.

Ride safe, and good luck!

If you want to be able to pull those speeds, I suggest FCR/SSW. Not exactly cheap but gets the job done. I've hit 95+ with those to alone, (Contrary to what my sig says, haven't installed my 16T CS yet).

Either spend some $$ or try a different bike, those are your best bets.

I understand where this poster is trying to go. I run my bike on the street (2002 DRZ 400S with Excel 17 inch wheels, 15/38 gearing, an accurate Vapor speedo) and cruise between 70 and 80, with jumps to 90-95 MPH at times. The engine turns around 7500 RPM in cruise, and never exceeds 9500 RPM in 5th gear when beating on it. Top end is stock, mods are FCR and MCCT.

My DRZ is fine with all of this, my one way trip into work is 65 miles and I did this all summer long without issues.

To answer the question, raise the gearing. The 15/38 works great on the street, I have not tried the 16 tooth CS. I would do the loctite fixes as well.

Ride safe, and good luck!

thx this is what i was looking for. maybe ill give a 38t a try then.

also thx for everyone else's suggestions. i realize a diff bike would be the best option, but i dont want to buy another bike for the very few times i might do a trip like this. i can "struggle" through it on this bike, i just know a diff sprocket will help a bit.