Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 360 exc

not a lot of info on here about these bikes, also not too much on ktmtalk.com but figured id post the question here as well. im going from a 250F to the 360, but i have had a KX500, KTM 500 DXC, ATK 605, and an 85 YZ250 over the past couple years. i know im going back a generation or 2 bike wise, but i also loved the older 500s ive had for desert and trails. looking for an offroad bike, more than an MX bike these days. i dont goto the track like i used to, not attempting any big doubles or triples, more desert and trail. id rather hear from the guys that had these bikes or still do. what do you love and hate about them. i know there are jetting issues, seems typical for ktm big bores of the era, over heating, and anything else? i want a wide ratio 2 stroke, reliable, more power than my 250F, but not destroy me like some of the 500s have done(but still loved them). i know i should just get a newer 300 exc or xc, but i dont have the money, just got out of the military and going to school. and i dont see them for sale too often, im guess there is a reason for that....they are just so AWESOME nobody is getting rid of them. anyways, the bike im looking at is in very good shape, lots of extras, original manuals, tool kits, sprokets, pipes, newer top end, and paper/receipt history of the bike and work.

The 360 works. I would look for a 380 and buy one if the price was right. IMHO the 360 was a first stab and the 380 got it right. Great controllable 3 stroke power.

Joe........

yeah ive had my eye on a few 380s in my area over the past year. they are still pretty highly sought after, or highly thought of by some owners with ridiculous prices. if i could find one for a good price and get to it before anyone else i would get one. i know the 360 was the beginning to the 380, im more curious as to the suspension, reliability, if its as rider friendly as i hear the 380 is.

im looking to go back to 2 strokes. just did a top end on my 250F, and man im kind of amazed it didnt blow up in my face...lol with as many things that could have gone wrong in there, i think that will be the last time i do a 4 stroke. that and the amount of money to freshen it up was a little more than i wanted to spend. I enjoy working on bikes just as much as i like riding them, but i am limited by budget.

i see a few 360s pop up for sale here and there, but im not that familiar with them, they are reasonably priced, but tend to stay for sale for awhile. wondering if its a turd, or if everyone is just like me and not familiar with the bike.

I have herd the 1996 360 had some jetting issues. They fixed the issues for the 1997 model. As far as I have herd from other people, the 360 has a solid motor. I owned a

1997 300 exc and I rode it for 10 years. The motor was so awsome I had a hard time

Parting with the bike. The chassis on the 250, 300 and 360 are the same. The chassis is a little dated by today's standards, but it will hold up better than any jap bike of that time.

The bike is Pretty stable and it handles pretty good to. The Ohlins shock is high quality and works really good. The marzocchi forks work pretty good. My fork seals leaked when I first got the bike. I used race tech fork seals and wipers.

Fork boots help to.

All and all the bike held up really good. If the bike you are looking at has been

Taken care of and the Price is good. I would go for it.