Sign in to follow this  

Newbie...1990 XR250 Quick Questions:

Picked up what I feel is a steal at $200 today. 1990 XR250.

Been sitting around for about 3 years. Kid's parents said to donate it, but I stumbled upon it and bought it without even getting it started. Kid even threw in brand new, in the packages, front and rear fenders.

Got it home, drained out the carb and gas tank..not much in there and quite dirty. Put some new premium in and flushed it through.

Couldn't get a socket on the spark plug....gotta find a 18mm deep thin socket somewhere.

Couple of cranks later and she runs, but rough. Have to leave the choke on and she wants to bog out......however she will idle.

No smoke....I'm happy.

I figure tear apart the carb and give her a good cleaning. Dump out the old oil, change the oil filter, try and get a new plug in there.......that should go a ways?

Any input?

Run Seafoam in your first tank of gas and also add it to your first oil change. Run that tank of gas thru it then do another oil change.

2 hours later of driving this beastly 250.....I think I'm going to sell the 82 KDX 175 that I just bought 2 months ago and fixed up...needs a little more TLC...but I got her to look good and drive okay.