Sign in to follow this  

DRZ quick chop bog

Hey guys, first post here, so be gentle. Have an 05' DRZs, just did a conversion to an 01' E model FCR for pretty cheap. Thanks to TT, got her running pretty good; should have bought a new one though. Only problem is a quick chop of the throttle and I have a bog that almost and sometimes kills it.

Running:

160mj

65 starter

48 pilot

200 main air

100 slow air

EMN 3

Wired AP

No CE

Stock motor, 3x3, Leo slip on.

Did AP test and have a good shot of fuel. Any reason why I still have a bog on quick chop of throttle. Go to 45 pilot? That's what it came with and seemed lean. :busted:

Yes, rivet is ground down. Gets good shot of fuel on quick chop. Seems to run great, except for the chug on throttle chop. Turn fuel screw all the way in and it almost dies. Turn back out approx 2 turns, maybe a little more(gotta try tomorrow to be exact) and seems to run great, except for the chug on throttle chop. A quick pull of the choke and it dies immediately. Thought about trying a 50pj, but haven't seen anybody running that from what I can see on TT with my same config. The choke test tells me that also. Haven't had a chance to actually ride it since the conversion. Gonna try it tomorrow; go up some hills, etc, check the other circuits in the process.

Yes, rivet is ground down. Gets good shot of fuel on quick chop. Seems to run great, except for the chug on throttle chop. Turn fuel screw all the way in and it almost dies. Turn back out approx 2 turns, maybe a little more(gotta try tomorrow to be exact) and seems to run great, except for the chug on throttle chop. A quick pull of the choke and it dies immediately. Thought about trying a 50pj, but haven't seen anybody running that from what I can see on TT with my same config. The choke test tells me that also. Haven't had a chance to actually ride it since the conversion. Gonna try it tomorrow; go up some hills, etc, check the other circuits in the process.

So your "quick chop of the throttle" is when your riding it or when it's standing..?

I have the same carb and problem. At idle if I just grab a handful of throttle the bike will cut off. But it's only at idle and the bike in neutral. Ur not going to grab that much throttle taking off in first gear anyway so it shouldnt be an issue...

Wait u said chop....do letting off the gas? Is ur idle to low?

This is when the bike is standing and in neutral. Idle seems to be ok. Only does it when I grab a quick handful. Byrdman is right, I will never give it that much throttle taking off... It just bothers me, I'm a little OCD with my bike.

• Like 1

Sound like your fuel screw is in need of some fine tuning. Id try another 1/4-1/2 turn out.

48 pilot is too large, put in a 45. Bike should stall with the fuel screw closed.

You cannot have the bike at idle and then nail the throttle and expect it to not bog. Ride the bike normally. Does it bog then?

You cannot have the bike at idle and then nail the throttle and expect it to not bog. Ride the bike normally. Does it bog then?

+1...my 485 bogs a little when I give it a gut full when standing at idle....But rides like a demon possessed ....

Do the pilot circuit test as previously posted...45pj is normally recommended for your set up

Edited by CraigoDRZ400sm

I will try the pilot test after work. It didn't run well with the 45 when I got it. I cleaned it thoroughly, and had retried it and had the same result. I went ahead and called JD, and have a new 45 on the way to try. I think I may have had some sort of vacuum leak before, that I believe is now solved.

Pilot jet is for idle only. Just above idle, is the straight diameter of the needle, if it bogs on acceleration, it is the AP. All distinct carb circuits. Some over lap but it should not be jetted adjusted based on the overlap (IE, do not tweak the pilot/fuel screw to resolve an above idle throttle issues).

Haven't had a chance to ride it yet.. Just got it running decent last night. Weather is pretty nasty here. Gonna do Pilot circuit test tonight, and have a new 45pj from JD on the way if it does turn out to be rich.

Just did a pilot circuit test and it looks like i'm gonna drop to a 45. When the fuel screw was screwed all the way in, it didn't immediately die. Takes about 15-30 secs. Don't know if this is normal. Seems to gain smoother idle at or less than one turn. My fuel screw is used and is kind of a piecer. It bottoms out on the main jet float bowl removal plug. I don't know if that's true "fully closed". Probably gonna get an R&D screw. Hopefully 45 works... I wanna ride!