Sign in to follow this  

ArcticCat WOW!! Rough ride!!

Just purchased a leftover 2009 Thundercat 1000 (950cc). I knew the suspension was more firm than my Honda Rincon or my King Quad 700, but this thing is a rolling torture chamber on rough trails. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, have you attempted a solution, such as reshocking, etc?

it has adjustible shocks on it all you need is a spanner wrench

Yes, I'm aware. Its set on the softest preload settings. I suppose they had to go with a firmer suspension on the 772 pound beast to handle the power and speed. A sloppy marshmallow suspension on this thing would probably be inherently dangerous.

if your going from a honda to another brand well thats why.

I've owned Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris, Kawasaki, and Honda. Even the old solid rear axle models weren't sprung this stiff, and they rode just as smooth. I'm 265 pounds. If I push down on the rear rack, it doesn't compress the springs more than maybe 2 inches. Its just the nature of the beast, is all. I've actually seen an interview with a Cat designer, and they actually stated they sprung it firm for handling because if the power involved with the ATV's 950cc mill.