Sign in to follow this  

Trail Tech Voyager

I was checking them out earlier this summer. I found quite a few reviews here on TT. Dirt Rider magazine (online) has a review of it as well. I want one for the XR but have to wait for some extra cash.

Thanks for pointing me to the Dirt Rider Mag article. The article makes it sound great but I would still like to hear from someone regarding reliability. I loved my original Garmin etrex legend until some dumba$$ (me) knocked it off the kitchen counter and cracked the display. I then bought the same unit, but in color, and found the color display impossible to see unless the sun was behind my back. My current etrex has a nasty habit of turning itself off (constantly) and has now become useless.

How about 13 pages of comments (on that other forum):

Interesting GPS Speedo!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630939 <-- linky

:busted:

My current etrex has a nasty habit of turning itself off (constantly) and has now become useless.
If it turns off while your riding and it's mounted on your moto running on internal batteries, try wrapping each battery with one wrap of electrical tape. Common problem on handhelds mounted on motos.

I have the voyager and love it!! I've never used anything else tho so I don't have much to compare it to. Saved my butt a couple times at Stonyford.

It doesn't do topo maps and you have to load all of you routes in before hand. I think its a great package for a trail rider as its made specifically for that.

If it turns off while your riding and it's mounted on your moto running on internal batteries, try wrapping each battery with one wrap of electrical tape. Common problem on handhelds mounted on motos.

I've tried wrapping the batts, as well as, putting so much tape between the cover and batts that I could barely close it - didn't help. I've also tried bending the tabs that touch the batts + / - and that didn't help either.

Thanks for the link, I will check that "other" site out this morning (just don't tell ThumperTalk that I'm cheating)

I have the voyager and love it!! I've never used anything else tho so I don't have much to compare it to. Saved my butt a couple times at Stonyford.

It doesn't do topo maps and you have to load all of you routes in before hand. I think its a great package for a trail rider as its made specifically for that.

How long have you had it? I want to make sure it can handle the abuse.

I'm ok with loading routes before hand. As long as I can give it a destination (point on map or coordinates) and it can point me in the right direction I'll be just fine.

Hi guys...Does the Voyager do all the same stuff as the Vapor? i.e. Engine temp, rpm, ect?

thanks,

~jw

I've tried wrapping the batts, as well as, putting so much tape between the cover and batts that I could barely close it - didn't help. I've also tried bending the tabs that touch the batts + / - and that didn't help either.

Thanks for the link, I will check that "other" site out this morning (just don't tell ThumperTalk that I'm cheating)

I've used a Garmin 76Csx (twin to the 60Csx) for three years on my bike and never a problem with the batteries. I also have a Garmin Oregon, and also no problems.

My recommendation is to buy a 60Csx or a 76Csx, if you want more memory for downloaded tracks go with the improved funtions of the next generation units like the 62, 78, or Oregon models. I prefer the 60/62/76/78 series over the Oregon for dirt biking because of the functionality, I bought my Oregon for hiking but also as a replacement for the 76 but subsequent use has shown the Oregon is better for hiking than biking.

IMO the big advantage of the above GPS units is the Garmin Mapsource SW that allows using a PC (or MAC) to manage the collected data and maps on the GPS unit. Also for the areas I ride Switchbacks.com has free trails and topo maps. I can also download previous tracks to use as trails.

Because two of my bikes already have TrailTech Vapors on them the Voyager would be redundant, and my two Garmins can be used on any of my four bikes and for hiking.

There are several other threads on GPS units that will help you decide, do a search.

Thanks Chuck. I did a lot of research over the last couple of days and came up with the opinion. I already ordered a Garmin 62s and Ram-Mount (always love having a new toy) :busted: