Sign in to follow this  

Honda trx250x questions

Looking at trading a nice clean 1989 yamaha 200 for a decent condition 1988 honda trx250x.

The 250 looks to be mostly original, plastics are good with the exception of a hole burned thru at the exhaust joint.

It needs carb work (which is no real concern to me). The engine feels like it has good power, he had it in the shop for a valve adjustmetn/tuneup this last summer. It does seem to have a tick or something though, not the general quiet honda engine I would expect. It does smoke when it is still cold, once it warms up the smoke seems to go away. The rear brake does not work at all.

Is the smoke likely from a need for new rings? Or is it more likely valve seals?

Is the tick likely valves or a loose timing chain?

Any thoughts or comments on what a head rebuild would run?

The brake rebuild kits pretty typically needed on these quads?

I am thinking my yamaha is about a $750 or $800 machine. People seem to be asking around $1000 for a 250x in my area. Just trying to figure out how much I would have in fixing it myself.

I had a bike that ticked a lot. I finally found the answer when I put a new timing chain on, and it stopped. I think the timing chain has one of those self adjusters, so it should have proper tension.