Sign in to follow this  

how to get started in racing?

I've caught the track bug, and now I want to race MX in the 2012 season. I'm 14 years old, and I ride an rm 85. I want to race in the 85 (12-15) C class until i'm totally comfortable with racing. I ride in eastern PA, and I've seen races before at Evansville MX Park before and since it's the closest to me (about an hour away) thats where I want to race. I believe it is part of District 6 AMA racing. So, where do I start? What licenses do I need to get to race?

Here is the link to the track: http://www.evansvillemxpark.com/

I've caught the track bug, and now I want to race MX in the 2012 season. I'm 14 years old, and I ride an rm 85. I want to race in the 85 (12-15) C class until i'm totally comfortable with racing. I ride in eastern PA, and I've seen races before at Evansville MX Park before and since it's the closest to me (about an hour away) thats where I want to race. I believe it is part of District 6 AMA racing. So, where do I start? What licenses do I need to get to race?

Here is the link to the track: http://www.evansvillemxpark.com/

First of all, unless I am reading it wrong - C class in your age goes from 85 to 150, so you will be outgunned. that does not matter, because you are just learning to race. Some Tracks require AMA, others do not, sometimes it's specific to the race sponsor or series. I think my AMA competition licence is 80 bucks a year. Best thing to do is call the track and ask them, as soon as they put out the 2012 schedule, you can pick a race and go for it.

The only way to do it, is just go for it, start racing! Recognize you will probably start out getting your brains beat out, remember you ride because it's fun, you are getting experience, and you are practicing!

Then you really have to spend time at the track riding - and i mean riding - with a purpose. What are you working on this lap? getting better at berms? better jumps? better getting off the corner? You need a specific purpose every lap, and every riding session. Alot of guys get better at what they are already good at, and forget to work on their weaknesses. for example, a guy who is great at jumping = and really enjoys that, will spend all his time working on jumps, but he may suck in the whoops - which he hates, curses the track for putting them there, and will not push himself to get better there!

In short, go for it, ride and have fun. you will find out pretty quick if you like it, and if you are good at it!

Don't forget that there are lots of other types of racing too - hare scrambles, enduros, etc - any of them will improve your skill set. racing a 3 hour enduro or 2 hour hare scramble will teach you alot about your riding skill and fitness level

too much stuff - just do it!