Cr85 plastics on old CR80??

Hey everyone,

I'm picking up a real old CR80 from a friend real soon. It's 1986 i believe?

Anyways, i'm looking to build it for my gf for xmas. My biggest thing right now is the body work. I want to update the looks on it for her. This is where my problem lies.

Will CR85 or newer Cr80 plastics work on a bike this old? i prefer to use CR85 components, but something like the 1996 CR80 style would be okay with me too.

Any help with this problem is much appreciated. Thanks TT!

-Doug

IMO, I would try to get a newer model (96 or newer). When it comes to these old bikes, you either have to have some sentimental reason for buying and restoring them or just like restorations. IMO, the hassle of parts availability and the expense of buying/restoring an old bike is just not worth it to me. I bought a 94 CR125 and even that year has been a hassle. As far as the 80's go, all the parts from 96-02 directly fit and the 03 and up fit well enough that with a little modification it would work so you would have no trouble getting parts for it.

Well it's not out of sentimental value honestly. A buddy is offering me a very good deal on a bike with very little need in terms of work(almost free). I just like doing projects too honestly. I'm not afraid of finding parts either, i'll probably buy whatever i need new since i'll be building it for my gf and i'll be using aftermarket parts instead of restoration stuff. I know what u mean about the parts though, i built an old 1991 Kawasaki mojave a few years back and parts were impossible to find. This bike just needs a top end, tires and some cosmetic stuff though. so no worries. lol

Thanks for the feedback guys, i appreciate it.

Well im the guy that made the video above. The conversion is very possible but definitely not worth it. you would not be able to use anything really but the motor wheels and forks. everything else you would have to buy used. I am almost done with mine but if i were to do it again I would not. just save you money and get a 1996 or above cr80 and rebuild or restore it. Just right now in minnesota is a cr80 for sale $200 and it needs rebuild. link below..

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/2655206937.html

Laxbro37,

That looks like a killer deal, it's just too bad i live all the way in PA. lol

I think i might just try the conversion, cuz i'm going to be getting the bike, all the new plastics, and a newer subframe for about a total of 220 bucks. All it will need is a new piston and cylinder head. I'm somewhat handy with a welder and i have pretty good provisions to make almost any bracketry, relocation parts, etc that i should need, so im not too worried about that stuff. I was mostly just wondering if the parts could even work on the newer frame and based off ur video i should have everything(minus that rear shock) that i should need. If i find a better deal sometime soon, i'll jump on it, but as of right now i have the availability to start a decently fun project for around 300 dollars total investment, which is pretty good for me since i tend to invest thousands of dollars into hopeless causes usually. haha

thanks for the opinion and information though, i'll post a build thread for it so everyone can watch my struggle :busted: lol

Thanks for the input,

-Doug