Sign in to follow this  

Did the speedo change at all between 2001 and 2007?

Hi guys,

I need to replace the speedo on a 2007 DRZ 400e and there is one on ebay.au which looks the same. It has reportedly come from a 2001 DRZe. Can anyone confirm that the speedo on an Australian spec DRZ did not change between these model years?

DRZ2001Speedo.jpg

I didn't think e models had the digital display, just odometer, and the display wire plugs I believe are different between some years. I'd check plug shape and wire colors on the plug to make sure.

ehh, might be different on your side

Yep, in Australia all the models of DRZ were sold in road legal trim, including the digital speedo as pictured.

Hi Chooken, I know about the vapor, I've got one on my DRZ, but this one is for another bike which belongs to a friend.

I was minding it for him while he was overseas on a long holiday and running it once or twice a week to keep everything running nicely. Riding home from work one day I was cut off by a d-max ute (pickup) whilst I was doing about 65kms an hour. I walked away from the accident with only some minor sprains and lost skin, and the bike fared pretty well also (cosmetic damage, nothing to suspension or running parts), but I bent the handlebar, scratched the plastics and I busted the plastic underneath side of the speedo where the mounting bolts come out of the unit. It still works for now but the circuit board is exposed and it is only a matter of time before water gets in and wrecks it. As its not my bike I want to repair it to its original standard and the problem with the vapor is that it doesn't have a neutral light - for that you have to shell out another $100 or so for the dashboard accessory. Not to mention the extra hassle of installing the speed magnet in the front disc and mounting the vapor itself.

If I could find one, replacing the stock unit is the go - I'm kicking myself as I was watching one which sold on Friday for $100 and I missed the end of the auction because I forgot about it... :busted:

I have one off an 07 aussie E you can have for $100 bucks plus postage. It has about 3500 kms on it and is in good condition. I swapped mine over for the Acewell speedo. I liked the look of it better than the Vapour and it has all the lights on it.

1: As noted yes the AU imports all got the digital speedo, vs the clicker ODO on the US E.

2: No, Zero changes that I have seen read about or heard. From inception to current MY.

3: Awesome job, stepping up to fix what was broke… many do not have that personal responsibility.

If you just need the backing plate, I have one off a 2005 US 400S that you can have for the postage. I have no idea if they are the same, but it is yours if you want it.

IMG_0185.jpg

Hi mrprez, thanks for the offer and it does look to be the same back plate but I've already bought the complete unit from aussiedrzguy. When I get back home to Vanuatu I'll have another look at the damaged one and if it can be repaired with just a new back plate I'll be in touch (always good to have a spare).

Thanks again.

OK, just let me know when you are ready. I have no plans to use it.

John

get the vapor , better value for money and brand new

Agreed. I like having the tach and temp display.