Help me change oil on KTM 350

This is my first four stroke and it has 1.5 hours on it (Half hour of easy riding and 1 hour of hard riding) I am ready to change the oil. I ordered the oil filter and oil for my bike, but are the transmission oil and engine oil the same ? When you drain the plugs it tells you to and put new oil in does it get to the transmission and engine both ?????

The manual is rather confusing, and I am used to pulling a plug putting it back in and filling it with oil in my 2 strokes gearbox like 6 times a year, and premixing the engine oil. Anyone willing to help????? I will have questions as I start.

Edit- It mentions something about removing a plug and oil screen with o-rings and cleaning it..then it says:

Push the oil screen with o rings onto a PIN WRENCH

Push the pin wrench through the opening into the drill hole of the opposite engine case wall and push the oil screen as far as possible into the engine case.

What does that mean??

I am ready to change the oil. I ordered the oil filter and oil for my bike, but are the transmission oil and engine oil the same ? yes

When you drain the plugs it tells you to and put new oil in does it get to the transmission and engine both ? yes

Edit- It mentions something about removing a plug and oil screen with o-rings and cleaning it. on the left hand side of the bike as you sit on it there will be another type of bolt that looks like a drain plug this needs to be remove & the oil screen needs to be pulled out & cleaned (Just plast it with an air gun)

Push the oil screen with o rings onto a PIN WRENCHIm not sure what the pin wrench is but it will become clear when you pull the screen out

Push the pin wrench through the opening into the drill hole of the opposite engine case wall and push the oil screen as far as possible into the engine case.This is when you put it back in after cleaning , Basically there is a locater pin that the screen pushes on to & just fit the plug/bolt & fill with oil

when reinstalling the screen dont just try to stick it back in, it will fall into the case and can be a pain to get back out. use a pin wrench (i used a peice of skinny dowel)

As mentioned earler you need to get the screen to meet up with a pin on the other side of thecase.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...
On 11/4/2011 at 5:42 PM, mikes300 said:

yes only one cavity for oil! also there is another screen/plug its right behind the shift lever, take it out clean the screen and put it back in.

I did the oil change on my 22 Ktm 350 excf for the first Time , the biggest hassle was taking off and putting on the skid plate . 
This maybe a stupid question but I’m going to ask it anyways , can I drain all the oil from the screen location instead  of the engine drain plug and screen . The screen location seems to be the same height and is right next to the engine drain plug. 
If I could do that I wouldn’t have to take the skid plate off . 🤔

20 hours ago, Big Poppa said:

I did the oil change on my 22 Ktm 350 excf for the first Time , the biggest hassle was taking off and putting on the skid plate . 
This maybe a stupid question but I’m going to ask it anyways , can I drain all the oil from the screen location instead  of the engine drain plug and screen . The screen location seems to be the same height and is right next to the engine drain plug. 
If I could do that I wouldn’t have to take the skid plate off . 🤔

I drain from the screen location, I still remove the magnet drain to clean it.

• Helpful 2

1 hour ago, Spud786 said:

I drain from the screen location, I still remove the magnet drain to clean it.

Thanks for the reply , My magnet drain plug was clean , the screen had some debris on it which I cleaned off . If I can eliminate  taking the skid plate off that would be great .  That was the biggest pita in the entire process. Off was no problem getting it back on and lining up the bolts that took the most time . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swappa said:

You might be able to drain it from the screen hole using a vacuum pump/fluid extractor. Better to figure out the skid plate process and use the drain bolt. 

I'd try laying the bike on it's left side. There are plenty of skid-plate install videos on YT. 

My skid plate is a simple install two bolts in the front to two holes in the frame and it clicks on the frame cross member but for whatever reason I have a hard time lining up the bolts in the frame 🤔

the actual oil change was a breeze. 

• 8 months later...