Sign in to follow this  

New Crank or Rebuild?

Going to start rebuilding my bottom end for the first time in a week here. Looking at getting a Hot Rods crank, though have heard you can send in your crank to get it rebuilt and balanced. Anyone know what companies do this and whether it's a good idea?

Bought a 99 YZ250 a year ago and have done the top end, now want to do the bottom end for good measure. Have no idea what crank is in it at the moment.

Thanks

I run hot rods cranks in all my bikes... good price, and good quality IMO. Some people prefer to stick with OEM in the bottom end. I like the idea of getting everything including crank, bearings, and seals in one kit. Throw it in and be done.

Hot Rods will be the choice then. Going to give the Pro X complete gasket kit a try. Last time I changed the top end I noticed the cylinder head was pretty worn and pitting a bit. Know where to find a replacement or machining?

Thanks for the help

I've used Crankworks in Tempe, AZ. Great work, has held up a few seasons without issue.

Sometimes even smaller local shops can do rebuilds. We did them at a small sled dealer I worked at.

Once I get the crank out I'll take a look at it and see what shape it's in, going to order some tools this weekend. So if it doesn't have any up and down play with the rod then it should still be good? going to replace the main bearings, seals and gaskets no matter what.

Thanks

I bought an OEM crank for my YZ125 from Yamaha Sports Plaza (http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com) and I think I only paid around $260 or so for it. For that price, I didn't want to take any chances with aftermarket. I hear lots of people saying they are fine, then a few people saying that they had issues. But, you never seem to hear anyone complaining about OEM crank issues.

I got mine rebuilt by "Mr. Crankshaft". Great guy, even better service. Rebuilt with Vesrah kit for $170. I'll be going back to him for sure.

i have a hard time seeing million dollar crank manufacturing facilities in taiwan. whos over seeing the qaulity control ? aint like the big shots from hotrods fly there every week and inspect the products

I got a HotRods crank in my '00 YZ250. 50+hr on it with no issues.

• Like 1

If the seals have worn grooves into the crankshaft, you need to replace the entire unit.

I have rebuilt a few of my cranks using OEM rod/pin/bearings/shims with zero problems.

I have a Wiseco bottom end in my 2002 YZ250. I have had zero problems with it, however I will be going back to OEM because I don't have confidence in running high RPM engines on Chinese and Tiawanese parts. I have not had any problems with it at all, it was a nice complete kit, looks good, fit and functions well.

Either way, a properly rebuilt OEM crank, a new OEM crank assembly, or an aftermarket assembly, you should be fine. Pick the one that's in your budget and makes the most sense to you.

if the combustion chamber looks pitted you may have a detonation problem, not just wear

Hot Rods will be the choice then. Going to give the Pro X complete gasket kit a try. Last time I changed the top end I noticed the cylinder head was pretty worn and pitting a bit. Know where to find a replacement or machining?

Thanks for the help

Full Throttle – solves the problem or ends the suspense. Not to hijack, but I love that signature................ Nothing like a good ambulance ride!

Don't think the head has been changed from stock in 99, so has a lot of wear and small indent marks. Will take a pick when I get a hold of a digital. Live at 4000ft elevation and highest octane at the pump is 91. Would this be the cause of detonation, or bad jetting?

Will be going the Hot Rods route, so far haven't heard any problems with them. Maybe have heard a couple instances with Wiesco. Is it every 200hrs that an OEM crank should be changed?

Hot Rods has been in the business now for almost twenty years. I think they know what they are doing.

GM has been in business for even longer than that and they're just about clueless...

People buy cheap crap from walmart all the time, that doesn't make it quality. Some people swear by HotRods, but with my luck I'd be the one to get the junk one... I'd just rather not take the chance. Taiwan isn't exactly known for it's quality goods, although I'd buy something made there over Chinese junk any day!

as a general statement china and taiwan produce junk. a handfull of the millions of items they manufacture might be kind of good but for the most part its junk. put all the qaulity control measures in place you want but i still wont be buying cheap asian crap. think about it. wheres all your high precision measuring tools come from ? japan, europe, usa. high precision bearings ? europe, japan. high qaulity bike parts ? europe, japan, and some usa. chinese cant even make a damn $2 can opener that works correct

i purchased and installed a wiseco crank kit in my cr125. the crank kit only cost 140.00, came with all seals and gaskets. Ebay!