Sign in to follow this  

Yz250f oil flow problems??

I change my oil put in the correct amount as the book says check the oil level on the sight glass and it's full start te bike and the first blip of the throttle the oil has dropped to a level where u cannot see it at all and does not return into the sight glass until 5 or so seconds after shut down. My bike is also over heating and I have exhausted all possibilities in the coolin system eg running lean, damage radiator, damaged water pump, cracked head or leaking head gasket and I'm even running engine ice coolant. I run motle 300v engine oil please help!! Thanx

What year is your bike? When you start a bike, the gears will spin up and sling oil inside the cases and the pump will take up and pump oil to the top end, thru the filter and lower end bearings. So it's normal after an oil change to have to add a certain amount back to bring it back up to level.... usually about .25 qt or more.

Now on running hot, that's a separate issue. If you are allowing the bike to sit and idle for 5 min or longer, it will run hot and overheat and fluid will come out of the overflow. Always get going soon after a start up to keep airflow over the radiator. Also, if your fluid level is low, wait until it cools off, top it off, then with the cap off, start it up. Look down into the radiator and then rev the engine. A leaking head gasket will show up as air bubbles coming up thru the runners in the radiator. Otherwise, you should just see fluid flowing thru.

It's 08 and it is after I have done the full oil change procedure eg filled with oil run let sit top up oil and then re check it and it is overheating at full race speed and plenty of flui movement and it's not a head gasket. I have been right through the cooling system and it is perfectly fine. The oil is a separate cooling system on it's own and I am wondering it it it pooling up in the dry sump or not enough flow through the engine. So back to what I was wondering is it normal to have no oil in the sight glass at all when it is running with correct oil level?

No I havnt do they often get blocked? I will do that tomoro and see what results I get

on all my yamahas, when the engine is started you cant see oil in the site glass then when you shut off it fill the glass back up , thats normal. its going to go down as the oil is going around the engine.

The bike has been boiling over the radiator well below the top of the core. It hasn't been loosing much power when it's been happening however. I have relaxed the radiator cap and running engine ice coolant.